Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11775 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Could Ryan Phillippe Play Captain America?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    According to HitFix, another actor is in contention to play Captain America, and that man is Ryan Phillippe. Some of Ryan's better work consists of Stop-Loss (At least I thought it was good), Flags of Our Fathers, and Crash. He is added to a already staggering list of actors supposedly also up for the role.  

Phillippe joins what has become a laundry list of actors to screen test for the role including Mike Vogel ("She's Out of My League"), Garret Hedlund ("Tron Legacy"), Chris Evans ("Fantastic Four"), Scott Porter ("Friday Night Lights"), Chace Crawford ("Gossip Girl") and Michael Cassidy ("Smallville.")   One leading contender, John Krasinski, reportedly shot a screen test with a number of other Marvel Universe actors. 

Ryan? Chris?
    Ryan? Chris? "Jim"?
    As you may know, we reported last week that Hugo Weaving may be up for the Red Skull, Cap's arch-nemesis, but the man who would dawn the blue mask with the big "A" has yet to be decided.
    Ryan seems to be a better choice than some of the others based on the fact people actually know who he is. Chris Evans might be good for the role, considering he was a good Human Torch, and now-a-days, it doesn't matter if you play more than one comic book character, like Ryan Reynolds. (Hannibal King, Wade Wilson, Hal Jordan) I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't take John "Jim" Krasinski seriously as Steve Rogers. I'd be waiting for him to smirk at the camera the entire film. Right now, Ryan seems like a viable option. He's had experience as someone in a WWII film (Flags of our Fathers), he's an established actor, and he has the look for the part. 

What do you guys think? Is Ryan right for the job? Who else on that list would make a great Captain America?

~Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee, and more importantly, a writer for ComicVine.~
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The Lobster

They must have considered every actor in Hollywood for this role, when the heck are we going to cut the bullcrap and get down to brass tacks and announce the actual actor who is going to play this part already. Seriously Marvel get your shit together and hire someone already.

TylerLux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TylerLux

I gotta say I know this is a big role, but lets be serious; it is time to pick someone. I think this is a better choice, but I still think Chris Pine would have been a great choice also. Other than that Matt Damon and Sam Worthington would have been cool also. But lets pick someone and get going with the actors training. 

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kurrent

Honestly I didn't think of Ryan but I think he would do pretty well. I love the movie The Way of the Gun with him and Benicio Del Toro

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AngelFrost

OMGG YES!
    Ryan Phillippe is  GOD

Sylar0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sylar0

For the love of god PICK SOMEONE ALREADY! we are tired of all the possible choices just pick a actor already.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Namor1987

Matt Damon has & always will be my pick for Cap enough said

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The Psyentist

Hm, I kind of like Ryan P's look more than John K's.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hdorman1

he could indeed

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Just get him in a bad costume and walk around being patronising and saying SON a lot and he will be fine. 

Though he is not the Ryan I would have chosen ..... 

No Caption Provided
    mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrduckluck
    @Namor1987:

mine to
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kurrent
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By -Eclipse-

I LIKE HIM! :D 

Actually, I've never heard of him before in my life, I just want Marvel to pick someone already and this guy looks more like a Steve than the others.

vuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vuki

He's too...pretty for the role. I actually like Wilson Bethel, I think he's make a great Captain America. We don't need a pop star, we need a fighter.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngelFrost

'Nuff Said  ;)

No Caption Provided
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Thunderscream

although i like the thought of ryan in tights.....i don't see him as Cap. Hawkeye would be a better fit.

Caliber268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Caliber268

RYAN MCPARTLIN for Captain America, he's the best choice ever.  Not any of these other guys, Ryan McPartlin.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2j1po2a.jpg[/IMG]
      http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Wolfman+Arrivals+xSw-XBu9h_Tl.jpg
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NXH

I reckon Benjamin McKenzie would make a good young cap.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Moomin123

I hate all of the actors who are being screen tested, but out of all of them, I'd go with Scott Porter.
    Nev-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nev-man

To be blunt all of these actors are pretty rotten and I'd be very dissappointed if Marvel went with any of them. Though wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised by an awesome portrayal of Steve.
    If I HAD to choose from this bunch, I'd go with  John Krasinski, Scott Porter or Ryan Phillippe.

Matt Damon? If only!!!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Captain13

WTF. I don't want to know who "could" play Cap, or who's in the running, or whatever. Just choose someone damnit. I'm getting tired of this sh!t.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By moviegeek17

He sounds like a good choice for cap. At first i was hoping that jeremy renner would be cap but then i realized that he would make a better hawkeye. oh well idk about chris evans though, i highly doubt that he'll be captain america

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @Captain13 said:
    " WTF. I don't want to know who "could" play Cap, or who's in the running, or whatever. Just choose someone damnit. I'm getting tired of this sh!t. "
    Well the movie wont be done... or out until 2012... so ur kinda goin to have to get use to this... hehehehhe

and i like the choice... i think hes obscure enough for me... anyways...
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mutant X
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " @Captain13 said:
    " WTF. I don't want to know who "could" play Cap, or who's in the running, or whatever. Just choose someone damnit. I'm getting tired of this sh!t. "
    Well the movie wont be done... or out until 2012... so ur kinda goin to have to get use to this... hehehehhe  and i like the choice... i think hes obscure enough for me... anyways... "
    2011 actually.

I think Chris Evans would be awesome as Cap.
    csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By csimon

He not the worst pick

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By IrishX
    @Kurrent said:
    "Honestly I didn't think of Ryan but I think he would do pretty well. I love the movie The Way of the Gun with him and Benicio Del Toro "

The Way of the Gun was good and I was surprised by his role but I just cannot picture him as Captain America.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @Mutant X: i say NAY... Chris Evans is Torch IMO... and should only be Torch in MArvel... he can be a Loser... or a Pusher... in another universe... but hes Cap... to me anyways...

but then again... i did Say Ryan Reynolds was a terrible choice for Hal Jordan... he would have been better off as being Kyle Rayner... but even still i thought... he is DP... he shouldnt be GL... but my opinion doesnt mean it is goin to happen...

but still im jus sayin
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Red Rum

NOW we're gettin' somewhere...

Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brickabrack
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce Vain

I think Ryan is a great actor . I loved him in Way of the Gun. But he doesn't fit Captain America. Actually , a majority of these actors doesn't fit Rogers at all. It's kind of like casting Superman it's a process to find the best man for the  job that looks like him and can transform his body into that super soldier physique. He would have to be someone like Howie Long.  Hell he wouldn't be a bad choice if he was cast. I know he did terrible in Broken Arrow , but his acting improved in Firestorm. It's like the Rock. To me he was terrible in Scoprion King ,but now he keeps getting better & better. 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn
    they need to make up their minds... this is getting sort of old now
    mattbryce2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mattbryce2000
    @.Mistress Redhead.:

if ryan reynolds played ANOTHER comic book character... i have no idea what i would do. but i wouldn't be happy. He can only play so many characters before people go "Ok, enough already" that being said i don't think he has the look for Cap and hes too funny. i wouldn't be able to take it serious at all after watching Van Wilder.
    Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

what is it with the majority of comic book heads & their innate inability to cast well for potential comic book flicks?  Ryan Phillippe???  are u kiddin' me???  he cant act worth a damn, for one...  hes like 5'8" (educated guess)...  & he comes across as a douche bag in everything, even Way of the Gun which was an otherwise underrated flick...  do u REALLY think he should rep the U.S. as Cap???  Chris Evans???  inferiorego's criticism about Jim Krasinski kinda applies to him too, i.e. we'd be waiting for him to say somethin' sarcastic every 2 minutes...  No Scott Porter, Chance Crawford or Michael Cassidy either...  We demand an ACTOR, not a glorified pop star...  i'm on the Garret Hedlund bandwagon myself...  Vogel wouldn't be terrible...   Isn't there anybody else??? 

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By goldenkey

I used to picture Captain America as the Superman of Marvel with them both holding a mantle of boy scout.  I changed the perception because of what Mark Millar did with him in The Ultimates.,  He reminded us that Cap is a super soldier, emphasize theword SOLDIER not super.  The Ultimates version of Cap is what I would think would be  the approach Marvel Studios is gonna take on him.  Cap not afraid to kill the enemy.  A more balls attitude then the 616, not that 616 Cap doesn't have balls he's just a little less gritty then Ultimate.  Even the dialogue is tougher in Ultimates version.  The John Wayne approach.  What ever actor they select should refect this.  I would have been all in for a Sam Worthington as Cap but that won't happen because he's Australian, I just hope the get a guy who comes off like he'd be tough in real life.   
    that Steve Mcqeen kind of feel.  Someone who you would think was in the military not an actor playing a guy in the military.
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Now this guy looks a lot more like Steve Rogers than freaking Jim from the Office.

cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cadaver

i vote bruce cambel to play him. when I think america, I think bruce.

Tim Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tim Simmons

Why do I get the feeling that all of these "contender" leaks are intentional? Like, we're doing the studio's market research for them...

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@mattbryce2000: lol he is no good for Cap at all, but posting that picture makes me happy ;)
    mattbryce2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mattbryce2000
    @.Mistress Redhead.:
    fair enough, i won't begrudge you your RR. After all, his wife is the background on my computer AND my phone : )
    simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By simsey

Chris Evans i think would be great  so what he did ff
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Green ankh

This is the first dude i'd be OK with.    But i still day Mark Valley is the guy.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Silver Knight75
    @MysterioMaximus:  lol I guess 
    ccrosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ccrosby

First off I can't believe someone actually WANTS howie long in a movie, let alone leading the avengers in the future (seriously, wtf??) - Second, marvel needs to get someone who has the acting chops to step up to Robert Downey Jr and actually command the screen AWAY from him - which none of their choices seem to be able to do.   

What marvel needs to realize is that when starting a new franchise going with a relative unknown is fine, or one of the midgrade actors they're sifting through (although chris evans is great, he will always be johnny storm in my mind, since he single handily made those movies what they were - and he should be the only actor brought back for the FF reboot), but since they already started the 'avengers' franchise with ironman (and possibly the inc. hulk) you need a big star to stand along side the big stars you already have. 

A couple of people here have already said it, but honestly the only choice for cap that makes since to stand next to downey jr and possibly ed norton (if he quits being a baby about it) is matt frickin' damon.  Come on, really-  jason bourne is already steve rodgers.  The bourne trilogy has shown he has the action skills for this type of movie - and pretty much every movie the guys been in shows his range, which someone like steve rodgers will need.  He'll need to go from doubting himself, to slowly gaining confidence, to later leading the the most powerful group of super heroes the marvel universe has ever seen.  Please marvel-  get your act together!

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By chalkshark
    No Caption Provided
    Is there some reason why Marvel isn't going after this guy? Neal McDonough looks more the part than anyone else I've seen.
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

If Ryan Philipe is cast as Captain America I will not see this movie.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Red L.A.M.P.: IF he's cast, I'll fly to the CV offices and force you to go with me.
    Avatar image for blackstormtorrent
    blackstormtorrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

yes yes yes

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By Silver Knight75

No,  

I know that this is kind of a delicate process and everything since its the Captain but......JUST PICK SOMEONE ALREADY!!!!!!!!! 

kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kore

As long as they don't pick John Cena or Dwayne Johnson...

wickedwillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By wickedwillow

I can't see Ryan playing captain America. I think he is too much of a pretty boy. plus he doesn't really do well in serious roles. If they did pick him Captain America would come off cheesy and awkward.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.