Help me arrange my hardscape!

Would appreciate some input on the best layout for my hardscape.

This is a 5 gallon desktop tank that will be oriented in peninsular fashion along the edge of my desk. When I'm seated it will be viewed on about a 45 degree angle similar to how I took the photos. It will initially hold shrimp (blue dreams?) but maybe a couple scarlet badis or something later down the line. My plan was a couple large rocks near the back with spiderwood coming out over top to the front of the tank that will hopefully encourage the shrimp to graze and be visible out on the branches. I will plant mainly with epiphytes and moss on the rocks and wood then a bit of small foreground plants, small crypt if there is room and then a few stems in the back. 

Here is the first option, closest to my initial idea. For this one I would cut the stump of the spiderwood back so it would sit lower on the rocks. The two rocks form a small cave.

20230417_214516.jpg.7256301e8619e4ed01861e3a6a38d7ce.jpg

The next one is just with one rock which might provide more options for planting.

20230417_220621.jpg.eaeeb9f8e7478d1986aef7bc35503e53.jpg

And finally, kind of the opposite of the first setup with both rocks at the front. This one I think provides the least room for plants.

20230417_214729.jpg.01cbc4ef9d5d76d4555f75f8cd3b0845.jpg

Any input appreciated!

• Love 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:37 AM, KittenFishMom said:

Put a sheet of Styrofoam under the rock. If you don't, a pressure point can cause the bottom of your tank to crack when you least expect it to. It could take a while to make the bottom leak and fall out, but there is never a good time to have that happen. 

That is a good tip, thanks! However, this tank happens to have a plastic bottom so it should not be an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 5:28 PM, MrGrieves said:

What colour neocaridinia would go best in here? I am thinking blue dreams.

Whichever you like is my answer. As you have a dark colored substrate, they will pop up pretty good color. 

If you ask a personal opinion, then I would do orange sakuras or bloody marys if you want that color to pop. Otherwise, I find blue jellys super cute myself. 

I am also in love with my black roses, but I can see it is not being everyones cup of tea, as people expect shiny colors.

As plant selection, they tend to enjoy small/thin leaf compact plants. If you are planning to spare budget for additional plants, I would consider something more specific that they enjoy. I don't like moss but they tend to enjoy that a lot if it is your thingy. Or plants like Water wisteria, hornwort, pearl weed, Subwassertang are some that they like to spend time around

P.S: the ones you have look like such pretty plants, but make sure they don't get too direct high light, as slow growers like bucephalandra or anubias tend to grow algae under direct high light

Thanks @Lennie! There is a  pile of Helanthium tenellum in the back that i think they will like, just hard to see at the moment. 

And you reminded me about moss. Originally I planned on adding a bunch but I like the look of the wood at the moment so did not want to hide it. I have also never used moss before and am a bit worried about having it take over the tank. 

On 4/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, MrGrieves said:

Thanks @Lennie! There is a  pile of Helanthium tenellum in the back that i think they will like, just hard to see at the moment. 

And you reminded me about moss. Originally I planned on adding a bunch but I like the look of the wood at the moment so did not want to hide it. I have also never used moss before and am a bit worried about having it take over the tank. 

If you like ferns, but also like the look of moss, I would def try Süßwassertang.Lil bit messy, but once it settles, looks so pretty to me.

I ordered one once, but got a really bad plant so I had to get a refund. I wish I had a good one but can't seem to find any in where I live  🙂 

SüßwassertangSüßwassertang / Süßwasser Tang | Lomariopsis lineata | Aquariummoos –  Aqua-Birne

All you gotta do is grab a handful if it gets bigger than you want really.

But yea it can be full of shrimp babies. That is something to consider.

Edited by Lennie

The reds do tent to pop.  You might like the painted fire reds or sakura reds or the bloody marys.  In terms of the background it's sort of a darker brown / black so I would avoid those if you want the shrimp to pop.  Luckily that leaves you with a lot of options: Green, yellow, orange, red, light blue, etc.

I would suggest wild type, greens, or reds, but it's entirely up to what you prefer.