What Species Are Albino Corydoras

Augustjd27

This is really interesting, I always thought they were Corydoras aeneus as well. Could this be tested by purchasing a small group or wild types and observing which species the albinos will shoal with? It sounds like a fun project

I have both albino aeneas and paleatus in the same tank. They mingle but lounge around in their own little cliques. I've also seen albino sterbai for sale online, in body shape they look like Aeneas, but still have the yellow pectoral fins. Pictured are my paleatus, tomorrow I'll try to get a pic of the two species together for reference.

20201003_153837.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

The common albino ones sold in most LFS and big box pet stores are of the aeneus species, I have had both albino and normal bronze aeneus in a tank and they spawned together. I have seen on lists from wholesalers albino paleatus listed as well as albino sterbai. 

Weird thing is, I bought my breeding group from Petsmart...guess maybe at that time they got some Albino Paleatus? I got them like 5 years ago for a dollar each.

Just did a water change, so they weren't cooperating lol. First pic is aeneas, second is paleatus, third is paleatus on left aeneas on right, fourth is vice versa. Looking at them next to each other, paleatus is overall larger, seems more slim and elongated, while aeneas are chonkers (especially females). Funny thing is, these are the only paleatus I keep. I bought them as 'hi-fin albinos', quarantined them, added them to the tank and said "wait a minute!"

20201123_162257.jpg

20201123_162017.jpg

20201123_162721.jpg

20201123_171805.jpg

• Thanks 1

I recently hatched out about 30 Paleatus eggs, and two of the babies came out albino.  These are of the supposed "high fin" variety, so I assumed some selective breeding/inbreeding had resulted in the albinos.

Anyway, its' clear to me that Paleatus can be the source of albinos!

- Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andy70VWBus said:

I recently hatched out about 30 Paleatus eggs, and two of the babies came out albino.  These are of the supposed "high fin" variety, so I assumed some selective breeding/inbreeding had resulted in the albinos.

Anyway, its' clear to me that Paleatus can be the source of albinos!

- Andy

There are albino paleatus cory in the hobby, I see the on wholesaler lists as well as when there was club auctions.

• Like 1