Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Following method 1, created the OC folder. Swapped the card red M5100 (Dell) and absolutely no display after I press the power button. The fans are blasting for whatever reason. Tried to go to recovery mode as well but no display whatsoever.
Does this mean the card is DOA?

Trying on iMac Mid 2011 (A1312) model.
Having prepared the RecoveryCD I use this method quite often these days, so it is working. After flashing the correct new vBIOS you should see the OpenCore boot picker after booting the CD.

You do not need to boot into macOS to check the basic functionality. If there is no boot picker either the CD is broken or the card or flashing the vBIOS failed.

You can try safe mode, too (after flashing, but no acceleration with working screen output).

KOUMANDA

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
Burnaby
Having prepared the RecoveryCD I use this method quite often these days, so it is working. After flashing the correct new vBIOS you should see the OpenCore boot picker after booting the CD.

You do not need to boot into macOS to check the basic functionality. If there is no boot picker either the CD is broken or the card or flashing the vBIOS failed.

You can try safe mode, too (after flashing, but no acceleration with working screen output).
Hey, thanks for your reply.. Can you please point me towards the guide for RecoveryCD creation? Checked page 1 but couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance...

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hey, thanks for your reply.. Can you please point me towards the guide for RecoveryCD creation? Checked page 1 but couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance...
Try to read the docs on page #1 and post #1. You may find other interesting facts you missed so far and never ask for a link in times to search machines, again.

zoran

macrumors 601
Jun 30, 2005
Try to read at least the first 3 words of the first post and you would have your answer
Im asking is if theres anyone with a mid2010 27" iMac corei7 that has tried the upgrade.

The thread title mixed me up, its different to the 3 first words of the 1st posts.
I would suggest the TS to edit the title... it is disorientating. If the info im looking for isnt described correctly in the title why read on?

It´s really annoying that people don´t care t o read the basics. Isn´t it?
Are referring to me?

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Im asking is if theres anyone with a mid2010 27" iMac corei7 that has tried the upgrade.

The thread title mixed me up, its different to the 3 first words of the 1st posts.
I would suggest the TS to edit the title... it is disorientating. If the info im looking for isnt described correctly in the title why read on?

Are referring to me?
You are walking on thin ice. Several people on different threads gave you the very same answer, you refused to read and decided to repost your question.

And now it is the title, hilarious!

lyf314512

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
实验性AMD RX 5500 XT 4GB(从 Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck 中提取)

在 27 英寸 iMac 2010 上的 Big Sur 上进行测试

我改装了一个 MXM-A 2 管散热器(仅用于测试,我猜这张卡至少需要一个 3 管,模组相当复杂)。由于组件的原因,两种 x 括号格式都不适合

正如 @highvoltage12v这里所预测的,该卡不提供 PWM 信号,

我假设原始 vbios 具有 GOP,因为我能够获得 OpenCore bootpicker 但没有主动背光,

所以我做了“热线解决方案”来测试显示器,

我添加了 boot-args agdpmod=pikera,因为加载操作系统和图形驱动程序时屏幕变黑,

附加信息 :

- 没有温度读数
- High Sierra 上没有图形加速,我猜来自 Catalina(系统随 iMac Retina 5K,27 英寸,2020 年发布)
- miniDisplay 端口没有外接显示器
- 在 Windows 10 UEFI 上启动
- iMac12,2 上没有 POST(可能是 SMBus)
- iMac11,3 睡眠和唤醒功能齐全

我连接了vBios,也许PWM信号可以恢复?除非是硬件...

**更新**
Score + vBios 附加(第一个用 GPU-z 保存但不完整)

(对不起翻译)

Experimental AMD RX 5500 XT 4GB (Extract from Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck)

Tested on Big Sur in a 27-inch iMac 2010

I adapted a MXM-A 2 pipe heatsink (only for tests, you need at least a 3 pipe for this card I guess, the mod is quite complicated). Neither of the two x-bracket formats is suitable due to the components

As predicted by @highvoltage12v here, the card does not deliver a PWM signal,

I assume that the original vbios has GOP because I was able to get the OpenCore bootpicker but without active backlight,

So I did the "hot wire solution" to have a display to test,

I add the boot-args agdpmod=pikera because the screen comes black when loading the OS and graphics drivers,

Additional info :

- No temp reading
- No graphics acceleration on High Sierra, I guess from Catalina (system released with iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
- No external display from miniDisplay port
- Booting on Windows 10 UEFI
- No POST on iMac12,2 (SMBus likely)
- iMac11,3 sleep and wake fully functional

I attach the vBios, maybe the PWM signal can be recovered? Unless it's hardware...

**update**
Score + vBios attached (the first was saved with GPU-z but incomplete)

(Sorry for the translation)
I have the 5700m version of this card, but I will not modify the BIOS, if you can give me the bios, I can test it on an imac 2011 27 inch. Attached below are photos of existing models and vbios extracted by gpuz

Attachments

• WechatIMG458.jpeg
    WechatIMG458.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 84
  • WechatIMG454.jpeg
    WechatIMG454.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 99
  • WechatIMG455.jpeg
    WechatIMG455.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 91
  • WechatIMG457.jpeg
    WechatIMG457.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Navi 10 5700 mxm vbios from GPUZ.rom.zip
    201.3 KB · Views: 68

godardfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2022
I've tried everything to be able to connect my iMac to an IP address through the linux usb drive. Nothing will work. At first it was appearing and disappearing on my router page, and now it just straight up doesn't show any address at all. I quite honestly give up doing this method cause it's frustrating me. Is it possible to download Windows on a flash drive from my other computer, and boot up the iMac with it? I'm starting to regret spending so much money to fix this, cause I fear I'll never get it to work... :(

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I've tried everything to be able to connect my iMac to an IP address through the linux usb drive. Nothing will work. At first it was appearing and disappearing on my router page, and now it just straight up doesn't show any address at all. I quite honestly give up doing this method cause it's frustrating me. Is it possible to download Windows on a flash drive from my other computer, and boot up the iMac with it? I'm starting to regret spending so much money to fix this, cause I fear I'll never get it to work... :(
I’ve seen sometimes grml linux fails to get dhcp IP from router. You can try to blindly type from wired usb keyboard the following command:

ifconfig eth0 x.x.x.x up

Change the x’s by the ip address you want the imac to have. Also try several times if not working at first try after making sure usb boot is working (an usb stick with a led indicating access also helps)

godardfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2022
I tested the USB stick on my 2012 MacBook Pro and 2020 iMac, so I know that it works, but I'll try that in a bit and let you know how it goes!

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I still cannot believe this thread is still going! I was looking back at some my posts in this thread from 3 years ago when I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded from my 2011 iMac. Insane! Keep trucking along, ya'll!

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
I have the 5700m version of this card, but I will not modify the BIOS, if you can give me the bios, I can test it on an imac 2011 27 inch. Attached below are photos of existing models and vbios extracted by gpuz
We've had zero success in modifying the 5500 VBIOS. There's some additional protection against modifying the VBIOS.
So unfortunately you have to live with whatever the stock VBIOS can provide.

Krutav

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
Experimental ROM-less AMD GPU Support (HP FirePro M4000 1GB tested)

There's two versions of the FirePro M4000. If you intend on purchasing one, please purchase the Dell model as it includes a ROM chip in the upper left corner to hold a VBIOS, crucial to it's function.

But what happens if you wanted to save a few dollars and purchased the cheaper ROM-less model made by HP?

After many months of constant experimentation and receiving help from others, I was unsuccessful in finding out what the correct combination of resistors are needed to get my card to be able to load the VBIOS (the card sees the ROM just fine and can flash it, but it won't use it for some reason). The solution now would be to inject a VBIOS. Read to the end to find out what happens if you chose to use this card!

Note: The included VBIOS is for the FirePro M4000, but you can make one for your card too by trimming the original to exactly 64KB in a hex editor and recalculating it's checksum with any tool you'd like. With all the hex code, you can paste it into a Property List editor like Xcode or ProperTree.

So you have this card, how can you put it to some use?

1. First, you'll want to install your OS (I used macOS Monterey) with the help of OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) and the original graphics card. You won't need to do any additional setup through OCLP, such as installing the post-installation patches. Once you have verified that your computer can automatically boot to the desired OS after pressing power button.
  2. Once in the OS, use the terminal to mount your EFI partition with sudo diskutil mount EFI
  3. Open your OpenCore configuration file at /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist in a text editor.
  4. Find the 'DeviceProperties' section and paste the following inside it:
    XML:
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>shikigva</key>
        <integer>80</integer>
        <key>unfairgva</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>rebuild-device-tree</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>agdpmod</key>
        <string>pikera</string>
        <key>CAIL,CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>CAIL,CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>CAIL,CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>CAIL,CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>connectors</key><data>AgAAAEAAAAAJCQEAAAAAABAAAAUAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAACQIAAAAAABECAQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAACQMAAAAAACEDAgIAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAABIEAwMAAAAA</data>
        <key>applbkl</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>applbkl-name</key>
        <data>RjE0VHh4eHgA</data>
        <key>applbkl-data</key>
        <data>ABEAAAAEAAsAEAAUABoAIwArADQAPwBOAGIAeQCUALUA2gD/</data>
    </dict>
  5. Add one more field to the code above after the last data field for the VBIOS, and all the text you need to copy paste will be in a text file attached because it is too big to include here
  6. Save the configuration and shutdown.
  7. Replace the graphics card with the intended card, which in this case is the FirePro M4000.
  8. Power on the system and wait until you see something on the screen (it will be a heavily distorted image).
  9. Sleep the system via keyboard and wait until the system is actually sleeping and not producing noise.
  10. Wake up the system, you should see a clear image now and be able to log in.
1647477445061.png

Tested system:
  • iMac11,2 (iMac 21.5 inch, 2010)

Known issues:
  • Internal display doesn't show up exactly like it should, some of the DeviceProperties fields could be changed to fix that.
  • Fans run at full speed, presumably because temperature monitoring of the GPU won't exactly work with this kind of VBIOS injection.
  • Audio is not working for some reason.
  • The card doesn't work right away, you need to sleep the computer via keyboard (make sure all the fans are off and it is actually asleep) and then wake it up.
  • Internal display is shown as having 30-bit color instead of 24-bit.

Known features:
  • Brightness can be changed on the internal display.
  • Card is supported in macOS Monterey, which means no patches are needed for it.

Summary:

Given that there are more issues than working features, I don't recommend this setup at all. If you really want to try it however, you certainly can, and with many more cards in theory. Though I highly recommend soldering on a ROM if you can, or purchasing a card that has one already. In my opinion though, I think this setup is somewhat impractical and not suitable for daily computer usage. I will also add that this solution might be applicable to HP EliteBook 8570w and 8770w that have these ROM-less cards. If there are any improvements or updates to share, I may edit this post.

Attachments

• M4000FormattedVBIOS64KB.txt
    85.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

antoniomac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
Napoli - ITALY -
Hello, help me!
My imac 2010 27 with K2100M gpu does not work.
Yesterday I turned on the mac, there is the startup sound but the screen is totally black.
I connected an external monitor with the mini display port -> HDMI cable but there is no signal on the secondary monitor.
Today I replaced the K2100m with my original GPU
I turned on the mac, there is a startup sound but the screen is gray.
I connected the external monitor with the mini display port -> HDMI cable again and this time the display is black
I have another imac 2011 21.5 working, what can I do?
Thanks so much for your time

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hello, help me!
My imac 2010 27 with K2100M gpu does not work.
Yesterday I turned on the mac, there is the startup sound but the screen is totally black.
I connected an external monitor with the mini display port -> HDMI cable but there is no signal on the secondary monitor.
Today I replaced the K2100m with my original GPU
I turned on the mac, there is a startup sound but the screen is gray.
I connected the external monitor with the mini display port -> HDMI cable again and this time the display is black
I have another imac 2011 21.5 working, what can I do?
Thanks so much for your time
Start with original GPU and press alt/option. The boot picker should come up and show your internal disk.
If not the disk is gone/dead.

(You could have tried this with the K2100M, too).

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Always gray screen
Thank you
Use the other iMac to create a bootable macOS High Sierra USB and try to boot it on the broken iMac.
If this works get a new SSD…

Edit: If you wait a long time a folder icon with a question mark should come up….

Last edited:

antoniomac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
Napoli - ITALY -
Use the other iMac to create a bootable macOS High Sierra USB and try to boot it on the broken iMac.
If this works get a new SSD…

Edit: If you wait a long time a folder icon with a question mark should come up….

Hello, Thanks so much for your support.
The SSD works because I connected it to another pc
The boot fails!!!!!!
I have big sur installed
What can I do?

Thank you very much

immagine-png-png.1975027

Attachments

• Immagine PNG.png
    Immagine PNG.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 563

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hello, Thanks so much for your support.
The SSD works because I connected it to another pc
The boot fails!!!!!!
I have big sur installed
What can I do?

Thank you very much
IDK, and I do not want this to become a repair my iMac thread. If your hardware fails run the tools mentioned on the first post (hardware section and hardware post). Using your original GPU you can run AHT or ASD (need do download it for your system). Everything you need has been posted and linked in...

antoniomac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
Napoli - ITALY -
IDK, and I do not want this to become a repair my iMac thread. If your hardware fails run the tools mentioned on the first post (hardware section and hardware post). Using your original GPU you can run AHT or ASD (need do download it for your system). Everything you need has been posted and linked in...
Sorry, I didn't write that the screen is with the K2100M
I changed the GPU again

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Sorry, I didn't write that the screen is with the K2100M
I changed the GPU again
If the boot fails re-install just Big Sur. You should also update to the most recent version of OCLP. You can do this by creating an bootable USB stick with OpenCore as described within the OCLP docs and boot. Do a PRAM reset before booting the new OpenCore (this was my last answer).

Balsie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Has anyone managed to make a GPU upgrade on a 27" mid2010 core-i7 iMac?
Yes, I did (and many more I think).
Works like a charm (Mojave, Big Sur).

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2022-03-17 om 18.24.01.png
    Schermafbeelding 2022-03-17 om 18.24.01.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 102

bahersaleh

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
I installed k3100m to my imac 2011 27” but no display and 3rd led indicator is off , imac boots with chime sound but nothing displays, any help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.