Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 5, 2015 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn..

That was a load of PTSD reactions. Pretty thrilling episode coming from Bob's point of view. I think this goes to show how war can affect some people, more than others. Quite a dark effect...

Nov 5, 2015 11:37 PM

Aug 2014
Bob is losing his mind! That guy put his deceased friend's body in a bag!
I really like this episode.
Nov 6, 2015 7:59 AM

Oct 2013
Bob gone made and lol the bare chest scissors bromance moment XD . At the end of the episode , was that the old doctor who did the surgery for hazama when he was a child ? So the badass doctor is his grandson .
Nov 6, 2015 10:35 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Bob lost his mind and turned into a cunt

Oh well, at least Hazama and the gang managed to save that one dude and make it ouybthe village alive with everyone else

I really want to see more of Dr. Kiriko though and I wonder what the narration at the end was referring to because it sounds like something big happens between those two in the future
Nov 6, 2015 11:07 PM

Sep 2011
Dat bob gone crazy. Wonder what happened to him though? Never told us.
Nov 6, 2015 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Bob lost his mind!

Hazama and the gang was able to save that dude and escaped the village in a good time.
Nov 6, 2015 11:29 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
The doctors are so respectable, even when their lives are in danger, they will not abandon their patient. When a life needs to be saved, they will save it. Bob did go crazy, and partially it's due to him being jealous (I guess) or mad over Phan's "betrayal." It was made clearer in the manga that she had slept with Bob a few times, and I guess Bob thought that Phan was actually going out with Ahn, therefore she was a Viet Cong as well. I think the sense of loss when Steve died was done better in the manga too because of no censoring (not complaining btw, just mentioning it).

Manga's scene right after the explosion:

Looks like their skipping over a good character development (sort of) arc for Hazama...well if they decide to ever make a second season, it would be alright switching stuff around. Although I think it would add to this anime with the arc. Anyways, that was a good ending to the Vietnam arc, Hazama really solidified his thought on saving people when he can, and also found someone who has amazing medical skills. Too bad it seems like Hazama and Kiriko won't be working together ever again in the future :(
tingyNov 6, 2015 11:35 PM
Nov 6, 2015 11:46 PM

Feb 2015

I can understand Steve feeling disoriented after the surgery, but dammit why couldn't the guy just stay put.
Dr. Kiriko and Kazama's efforts into saving his life were wasted. :<

I guess being a true doctor means not choosing sides and saving everyone, whether friend or foe.
It was impressive of those 3 guys to stay behind and continue the operation.

SchwingBonerNov 6, 2015 11:49 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2015 12:05 AM

Jul 2011
I still think that that guy can't be Kirikko, not only is he way to damn young for someone who supposedly was enlisted in the second word war, but his attitude is incredibly different from the euthanasia enthusiast we all know.
Nov 7, 2015 12:22 AM

Jun 2014
Bob really lost his shit, but I think it really highlighted the sense of paranoia that was rampant during that time, especially when just about anybody you met could potentially be an enemy.

I have a lot of respect for Hazama, Kiriko, and Yabu for staying behind to save that guy's life, even though their own lives were in danger. Shows how much they care about their patients.

Sucks that we probably won't see Kiriko again, I was liking him.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 7, 2015 12:54 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Doomroar said:
I still think that that guy can't be Kirikko, not only is he way to damn young for someone who supposedly was enlisted in the second word war, but his attitude is incredibly different from the euthanasia enthusiast we all know.

I can't say anything about the age, but for the attitude change part...they did say at the end of the episode that "At this time, the two geniuses were facing the same direction, but they did not know that they would never unite on the same path again." If there's no second season, then you would never know, but there's a backstory arc dedicated to Kiriko later on in the manga that probably explains why he changed. And the quote at the end of the episode foreshadows that change.
Nov 7, 2015 1:03 AM

Jun 2015
Bob annoyed me... but i can unds how all those events can cause him to literally go mad... am glad they managed to escape in time.. and it seems YBJ took a wealth of exp with him on this trip. Cool Doc is awesome too.

Nov 7, 2015 3:15 AM

Feb 2015
What an episode.
Madness.
The land mines was really suprised me.
But this episode is a little bit cool, They did the surgery while 2 jets was coming to destroyed the village. That was insane, i like the thrill.
Doctor's Pride :D Not bad.
Nov 7, 2015 5:22 AM

Sep 2010
After two episodes of saving Steve, after he gets better he suddenly steps onto the mine... I don't know why but after the first impact of surprise I started laughing.

Looking at the last scene, is "parachute doctor" related to the "old man doctor" who saved Hazama. (the one that was showed in the flashback). I thought that the old man on the picture was him... although this scene was reserved to understand only for those that watched the original. :(

I don't think I will start watching the old series but I might eventually read the manga. If I find it that is.

Maybe this show is "the house" of anime/manga culture :). Although there is little solving the puzzle more, the world is corrupted but we are Overpowered.
Nov 7, 2015 5:59 AM

Jun 2013
the scene when Steve was running it fel like it was shot with a camera because the scene was moving that was awesome imo and Bob gone mental and they did a surgery when jets are coming to bomb them
Nov 7, 2015 6:04 AM

May 2014
Where'd Bob go to? I completely lost track of him :o
Good episode, Phan's hot 😘
So next episode is about racism? Wondering what they'll do with it.
Nov 7, 2015 6:59 AM

Sep 2014
Bob being in denial of Steve's death was just painful to watch.
Nov 7, 2015 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
I'm still so disappointed at the lack of gore (and many other things) in the anime in comparison with the manga... I really wish I could read the manga, it does seem way more intense.

Anyway, the episode was really good. Bob went crazy, which is perfectly understandable due the situation. It was horrible, and they put so much efforts into saving Steve and then he dies thanks to an explosion... Life really isn't fair.

And the animation in this show could be a little better tbh.

tingy said:
I can't say anything about the age, but for the attitude change part...they did say at the end of the episode that "At this time, the two geniuses were facing the same direction, but they did not know that they would never unite on the same path again." If there's no second season, then you would never know, but there's a backstory arc dedicated to Kiriko later on in the manga that probably explains why he changed. And the quote at the end of the episode foreshadows that change.

Oh man, I really hope they do it! I love Kiriko and I didn't have enough of him in the original series, I would love to see more details about his past besides what's been already (poorly) explained.
Nov 7, 2015 8:15 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Wow, Bob's really insane right now. It's funny how after all that crap in the last two episodes, Steve died when he was perfectly fine :/

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerNov 7, 2015 9:04 AM
Nov 7, 2015 8:48 AM

Aug 2015
Screw that Steve guy , 1/2 Ep 4 to save him , Ep 5 full about how to save him and he save . Ep 6 insta died lol .
Nov 7, 2015 9:51 AM

Dec 2013
tingy said:
The doctors are so respectable, even when their lives are in danger, they will not abandon their patient. When a life needs to be saved, they will save it. Bob did go crazy, and partially it's due to him being jealous (I guess) or mad over Phan's "betrayal." It was made clearer in the manga that she had slept with Bob a few times, and I guess Bob thought that Phan was actually going out with Ahn, therefore she was a Viet Cong as well. I think the sense of loss when Steve died was done better in the manga too because of no censoring (not complaining btw, just mentioning it).

Manga's scene right after the explosion:

Looks like their skipping over a good character development (sort of) arc for Hazama...well if they decide to ever make a second season, it would be alright switching stuff around. Although I think it would add to this anime with the arc. Anyways, that was a good ending to the Vietnam arc, Hazama really solidified his thought on saving people when he can, and also found someone who has amazing medical skills. Too bad it seems like Hazama and Kiriko won't be working together ever again in the future :(

Have to agree with you here. I remembered the scene when Phan led Bob to bed and was wondering why it was that they'd left the scene out. It gave added significance to the scene of Bob accusing Phan of "betrayal" in the manga, but in this episode I just couldn't feel it at all. Here it just felt like his PTSD was the cause of it all, which made the entire premises less believable considering that he'd just semi-snapped out of it a moment before that.

Other than that, I get the feeling that the show's been toned down in terms of R-rated material. Overall, the show feels a bit too PG to me. Even the deaths are way too clean.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 7, 2015 9:54 AM

Nov 2012
Steve stepped on a land mine,lol
Nov 7, 2015 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
YBJ continues to be an impressive series.

Gotta admit I didn't expect Steve to die like that, in fact to die in general. Doc Kiriko just saved him and yet Steve dies just like that. Horrible.

Bob totally went crazy. Omg his eyes creeped out, I swear.

Kiriko, Hazama & Yabu were awesome! They stayed to the very end to help that boy.
Nov 7, 2015 11:08 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This is awesome. Was kinda shocked when i saw Steve stepping on a mine, FUCK!

Bob went crazy after that. Kiriko is great, i hope we see him again.
Nov 7, 2015 11:12 AM

May 2013
Motherfucking doctor Kiriko ! YBJ is such an underrated show.And the ed song is so gooood
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Nov 7, 2015 11:33 AM

Feb 2015
That line though!

"You people are amazing."
"We're not just anyone."

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Nov 7, 2015 1:22 PM

Jun 2014
Was actually thinking Steve might of barely survived the landmine, since that's how Hazama got scarred, I was thinking he would fail trying to repair him and then start to lose it. But pretty good arc overall, didn't feel all that dragged out.

The cards in the ending changed too, but I'm still wondering how exactly Dororo and Hyakkimaru are going to be in this show. When I first saw the opening I was thinking it was just going to be a character that looks exactly like him, similar to how many Tezuka characters are reused in many of his works but it seems this isn't the case. I never read Dororo, but doesn't it take place in ancient Japan? Someone care to fill me in on how they're still alive in the 60s, but without too many spoilers.
Nov 7, 2015 1:25 PM

Feb 2014
I knew Steve would step on mine
Nov 7, 2015 1:59 PM

Mar 2014
Vietnam arc is finally over.
I feel they rushed things way too much and left many characters gone by unnoticed. And what happened to Bob?
Next episode seems quite interesting.
Nov 7, 2015 4:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
L-Ryoshi said:

Have to agree with you here. I remembered the scene when Phan led Bob to bed and was wondering why it was that they'd left the scene out. It gave added significance to the scene of Bob accusing Phan of "betrayal" in the manga, but in this episode I just couldn't feel it at all. Here it just felt like his PTSD was the cause of it all, which made the entire premises less believable considering that he'd just semi-snapped out of it a moment before that.

Other than that, I get the feeling that the show's been toned down in terms of R-rated material. Overall, the show feels a bit too PG to me. Even the deaths are way too clean.

Glad you agree. It's understandable though that they can't keep everything in the episode. Just wanted to offer an explanation for Bob's reaction in case anyone wanted to know, even if this anime discussion. And yeah, I think it would be better without the censoring or toning down of the scenes, it takes away the impact if you've read the manga. I should've just stuck with reading the chapters after watching the corresponding episodes. It's still a really enjoyable watch though. I find it hard to wait for the next episode each week X)

Also I retract my comment about skipping over an arc, I didn't realize they showed the characters from the arc in the ED. They're really going to be rushing the next three stories then.
Nov 7, 2015 4:23 PM

Dec 2012
Bob is a dickhead.
Nov 7, 2015 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Bob got fuc** crazy...
That moment when their village was burning and 3 doctors managed to survive and to save that guy!!
Finally he is going back to Japan :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 7, 2015 6:04 PM

Jan 2015
When Steve ran away I knew it, when he turned back and wanted to run into Bob's arms I knew there and then that there must've been a landmine and he'd die :D
Nov 7, 2015 6:30 PM

Aug 2009
Steve dying was really sad... Bob being insane over it was also really sad to watch.. :(

That shirtless, out of place "he's our patient" tho, was really funny xD
Nov 7, 2015 6:37 PM

Jan 2008
I wonder what happened to Bob after that? I doubt he'll get very far carrying a bloody corpse in a bag over his shoulder, let alone on a plane. I'm betting he eventually dies somewhere during the war.

And wow, that was Kiriko? The years have not been kind to him, given how his present look. Haha, nope. You're wrong there Yabu-san. Well, maybe sorta right...instead of becoming famous leaders in the medical world, they'll become famous and infamous nonetheless. I'm guessing Kiriko sees so much death during his career that something in him changes his viewpoint as a doctor, deciding to walk down a darker path than that of Hazama.
Nov 7, 2015 7:32 PM

Dec 2014
Screw Bob

VanishingKira said:
Steve stepped on a land mine,lol

I had a feeling that'd be the case, ha
Nov 7, 2015 10:15 PM

Dec 2014
haha ptsd steve lol (dont think of me as a bad person)
Nov 8, 2015 3:51 AM

Apr 2015
wtf Steve?
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Nov 8, 2015 5:32 AM

Sep 2014
Good episode overall and a great way to the Vietnam War arc. Enjoyed it.
Nov 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Mar 2015
I loled when Steve said he want to eat nice juicy meaty sausage, why brain WHY!!!???

Nov 8, 2015 11:01 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
GuidedCursor said:
I loled when Steve said he want to eat nice juicy meaty sausage, why brain WHY!!!???

^^
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 8, 2015 3:25 PM

Jan 2010
Gotta love Kiriko, I'm really interested in how this version is going to explain his turn from "enthusiastic doctor" to "euthanasia/suicide".

I laughed a lot when they had the really epic scenes/ lines, it was super dramatic (like a movie), but still had an effect!

Nov 8, 2015 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
Oh no, I'm starting to get bored of this show. I'm glad this arc is finally over. Suwabe is the best thing that's happened so far.
Nov 8, 2015 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
Another badass episode, seeing their resolve was pretty cool! I thought this series will be purely episodic but it seems like it’ll have mini arcs in some places which I don’t mind seeing.
Nov 8, 2015 10:01 PM

Jul 2012
Everything was so predictable, Also lol does 1 person have the authority to just bomb a village like that because he said rebels were there?
Nov 9, 2015 12:51 AM

Mar 2012
I really liked Bob's character. The guy had been placed in an unfamiliar environment miles away from home for who knows how long, lost his whole squad to Viet Cong attacks, gets captured/tortured, and the one friend he had left from his squad steps on a mine right before his eyes after they tried so hard to save his life earlier. As much of a shame that it was, you really can't blame the poor guy for going batshit crazy especially when the people you got left are trying to save the life of a soldier from the enemy which has caused you so much grief.
Nov 9, 2015 3:00 PM

Dec 2008
Dammit Bob and his bat shit crazy ass!!
Nov 11, 2015 12:25 AM

Jan 2011
PTSD is an scary thing, the amount of plot armor didn't take away from the scene of them running through the flames
Nov 11, 2015 2:07 PM
Sep 2015
How did Bob who is American and needed a translator, was able to speak to YBJ, who speaks Japanese? Plot hole.
Nov 13, 2015 12:06 AM

Oct 2011
He went crazy
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

4 by removed-user »»
Nov 10, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

192 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 19, 2021 7:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.