L168 or L052? I really don't know

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

you did pick a nice fish. Both are from the same family. I tend to say it is the L168 and a nice male. If you look at http://www.l-welse.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/64 it will show you various photos of the L052 in stress colours etc. Only you could tell if in the water. They are very similar and very hard to tell apart. One point of interest though is that they do like slightly brakish water with peat moss. hope other members can also help. cheers jk :thumbup:

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

Dekeyseria/Zonancistrus brachyurus (L 168) and Dekeyseria/Zonancistrus sp. "L 52" can not safely be distinguished in the pictures.
To distinguish one should know where they or their ancestors came from:
L 168 - Rio Negro, Brazil
L52 - Rio Atabapo, Colombia.
Both species are black-water plecos. They are usually reproduce at a pH value between 4.5 and 5.1 . They prefer to spawn in crevis - look here.

Greetings
Elko

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
Hi,

Dekeyseria/Zonancistrus brachyurus (L 168) and Dekeyseria/Zonancistrus sp. "L 52" can not safely be distinguished in the pictures.
Both species are black-water plecos. They are usually reproduce at a pH value between 4.5 and 5.1 . They prefer to spawn in crevis - look here.

Greetings
Elko
thanks for this info man. not my thread but i didn't know this

Joshlikesfish

Jan 28, 2011
New Zealand
Hi,

Greetings
Elko
Thanks
Will ask the people who originally bought them if they know

berwickdave

Jan 14, 2011
berwick melbourne
i agree with every 1 think u have 168 but good luck with them mate if u are in ch ch i am here till friday and would be able to look at them in there tank which would make it easy'er to id as they will have there true colour i live in melbourne going back friday i keep/breed 270/333/201/002/104/pepps/whipptails/alb long and short fin cheers dave

Joshlikesfish

Jan 28, 2011
New Zealand
i agree with every 1 think u have 168 but good luck with them mate if u are in ch ch i am here till friday and would be able to look at them in there tank which would make it easy'er to id as they will have there true colour i live in melbourne going back friday i keep/breed 270/333/201/002/104/pepps/whipptails/alb long and short fin cheers dave
I'm in auckland sorry but thanks for the offer :)