Spawning of Loricaria simillima

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Spawning of Loricaria simillima
I have identified the parents of the phantom Whiptail spawning as Loricaria simillima.
The eggs are now over one week old and have stopped getting fungus on them, you can clearly see the embryo young, one has hatched and the rest don’t look to far away.

Fingers crossed for a few fry soon.
I would be grateful to any one with tips for raising the fry.
I was thinking along the lines of keeping them in the breeding trap and target feeding ground flake and frozen Red Plankton?

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Brilliant picture of the eggs :clap:

As I have read bringing up the fry is quite a challenge. Target feeding would be the way to go as well as keeping the rearing tank clean and well airrated (?). Maybe give them unlimited food suply by feeding them mushed up foods/greens put in a nylon stocking or something like that. I've read that on PC, Larry (apistomaster) has fed his Sturisoma fry that way. Seems to work well.

Good luck :thumbup:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Most of the eggs are now hatched and free swimming.
The egg sack is very small as I would expect with eggs taking almost 10 days to hatch.

I will start feeding over the next few days
Hope to get some photos of the fry tonight if they stay still.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Brilliant picture of the eggs :clap:

As I have read bringing up the fry is quite a challenge. Target feeding would be the way to go as well as keeping the rearing tank clean and well airrated (?). Maybe give them unlimited food suply by feeding them mushed up foods/greens put in a nylon stocking or something like that. I've read that on PC, Larry (apistomaster) has fed his Sturisoma fry that way. Seems to work well.

Good luck :thumbup:
All my nylon stockings are used for bank robberys.
Oh dear now people will think I rob banks!

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Some photos of the fry

Strange thing is they hatch over a 24 to 48 hour time span and have very small eggs sacks that are used up over a 12 hour time span.

I suspect this is due to them having very little food in the area were they normally hatch?

I am going to feed fine ground vegetable flake with some high protein flake ground the same

Regards Bob

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i'd feed them some baby brine too.... sera micron is good too for the first week....

i fed my fry 3-4 times a day in a pastic frysaver... lifting out of water and replacing before feeding to keep water fresh....

if you run an airstone or flow water into your fry saver you lose all your food.... once they doubled in size i let em go in the main tank... no problem!

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi Folks
Bad new on the fry front.
A week a go I found the fry trap laying on the bottom of the tank and a Pseudohemiodon lamina jumping about eating the babies.
I managed to pull around 10 out of the tank and pop them in a grow on tank full of L4XX and L260 babies so far they are eating and alive.