Pseudotropheus saulosi

Stepod72

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Pseudotropheus saulosi.

I'm curious to know, on a true saulosi, how many bars should they have?

I've heard 1 or 2 different versions, is the true saulosi supposed to have 5 bars or the more commonly seen 7 bars?

I'm currently breeding 2 colonies, one with males with 7 bars and the other with males who have 5 bars.

How I can get some help with this.

Cheers,

Steve.

Mine have 5 on the body and a faint bar between the dorsal fin and tail. This is the same as the photo in the back to nature book. Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat show a Saulosi with 6 bars and one between the dorsal and tail.... Good question I guess? Is it 5,6 or 7?

All my males are from one source, but my females are a different bloodline.

Josh

Thanks for the reply josh, thought I'd ask the question out of interest sake and to bring back some nice pure saulosi.

I'm thinking maybe the barring could be different depending on which part of the lake they come from?

Could anyone else put in some input please.

Steve.

Hi Guys,

As far as I am aware, saulosi are only found in the Taiwan reef location in lake malawi. I did a fair bit of googling and reading a while ago looking at this same issue, and I did not come up with a definitive answer. I found pictures of saulosi with ranging from 5 to 7 bars in the males, which matches my own personal observations. I have also seen fish with differing numbers of bars on each side.

I suspect there is no true answer and that fish in the wild do not have perfect even numbers of bars, much like wild frontosa. A ripe female fish does not care how many bars the male courting her has, as long as he is the correct colour and shape and is actively courting her. It is only us humans who desire the fish to have perfect even barring.

Having said that, when selecting males for breeding, I myself try and select males with nice even barring and the same number of bars on each side, whether it is 5, 6 or 7. I also select the brightest coloured females I can find. There seem to be an awful lot of very ordinary saulosi getting around, with not very bright colouration in the juveniles and females, and even some suspect elongated body shapes with more than 7 quite thin bars.

Cheers, Doug

Thanks for the info doug, I to have done a bit of googling and pretty well came up with no definitive result aswell.

If they do occur in the wild with random barring would that lead to classing a saulosi by the number of bars a particular fish/ bloodline has? Sorry I don't mean to re-write the books when I say that.

Or......has a true saulosi have 5,6 or 7 bars.

I think this might be good info for all saulosi breeders to know. I have 2 young colonies of saulosi and believe I have good examples of both 5 bar and 7 bar saulosi

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the info doug, I to have done a bit of googling and pretty well came up with no definitive result aswell.

If they do occur in the wild with random barring would that lead to classing a saulosi by the number of bars a particular fish/ bloodline has? Sorry I don't mean to re-write the books when I say that.

Or......has a true saulosi have 5,6 or 7 bars.

I think this might be good info for all saulosi breeders to know. I have 2 young colonies of saulosi and believe I have good examples of both 5 bar and 7 bar saulosi

Cheers,

Steve

tiwanee reef saulosi have 5-6 thicker black bars. And bright yellow females. Coral red saulosi have 7-8 thinner bars and females are orange. The coral reds are saulosi and red zebra crossbreed a and aren't found in the wild.

Nice pics. I will post pics of my wild male when I get him.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Great photos David. Love the tank setup.

Thanks Ged,

One of the biggest things i found was having that rock wall as high as possible. It really changed the behavior in the tank. Instead of sub dom fish being chased out of territories into open water, they had the higher rocks to establish other territories/shelter away from dominant fish.

The other benefit I found was a lot of open water in the front 2/3 of the tank and a large open sand bed.

Ged any thoughts on the disparity in the barring between the fish?

I agree with Doug.

In the wild (Taiwan Reef) P. saulosi can be found with different number of bars. Even the photos that Ad took back in 1990 showed males with different numbers of bars. If that is what occurs in the lake then that is what we will have in the hobby. I have seen photos taken of schools of P. saulosi in the wild where males in adjoining territories have different numbers of bars.

When t comes down to it they are all P. saulosi and it comes down to selecting the highest quality fish. The females and juveniles should be have that depth of yellow and males symmetry to their barring. I like the ones with 5 bars but that is just a personal preference.

Thanks for that info Ged, I can sort out my 2 colonies now and free up a tank.

Thanks for all the pics everyone, it gives me a good idea of the quality of fish out there. My females are more orange that the yellow though.......

Should I be trying to get females that are more yellow?

Ill try and get some pics of mine today and ill post them up tonight

They are not a deep orange. This is what happen when I don't explain myself ully

Ad Koning photographed two different shades of colour females on the reef as far as I am aware. They can be seen here.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw09007u.htm

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=82

I tend to aim to select females that have the depth of colour in the top photo.

Having said that females that show a strong uniform colour that are not washed out is what you are aiming for your colony.

David your female are nice and vibrant and should produce quality juveniles.

Hope he colours up well for you Epic

we wish we could get WC but if it's not on the import list :bye:

there isn't much hope out here

as far as "coral red" is concerned these will be line breed for the most

orange colour in the females like the other intense colour forms of line

bred species that seem to come from Europe (eg Rubin Red Peacocks)

send another pic when settles down :yes:

where abouts in the US are you

Archived