• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma atahualpa WC

DaRe

5 Year Member
I think this is the species I have. Any one that can confirm this?

I am super exited I have just got 5 Apistogramma atahualpa. I did buy a group of four half a year ago, but they all turned out to be females. Now a new shipment came and I bought 4 more. I had saved one female from last and they came from same loocation as the first ones. I'm trying to find out were that might be, but they are bought through Glaser so I'm not sure that will be possible.

I keep them in a 720 liter tank with no other species as of now.

Some photos:
My "old" female:
A_atahualpa03-04VFHonaejlek-David_Rejdemyhr.JPG

A_atahualpa03-06VFHonaejlek-David_Rejdemyhr.JPG

Newcomers:
Possible female?!
Jul&Nyår_2013-01-05_436.JPG

Jul&Nyår_2013-01-05_437.JPG

Possible male:
Jul&Nyår_2013-01-05_460.JPG

Jul&Nyår_2013-01-05_465.JPG

How do I make these little beatuties like there stay as much as possible?
pH range for them to spawn? How important is the hardness of the water?

Also other information on the species would be really interesting. I believe the females have yellow on their pelvic fins while males have only a small light line and the border of the pelvic fin. Is this valid difference? Other sex differencies?

DaRe

5 Year Member
The "old" female is 5-6 cm and the younger ones around 3cm, but I'm losy at estimating, possibly they are a bit larger...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The 5-6 cm fish is definitely a female. I would say that if the bottom fish is only 3cm, then it most likely is a young male (based on the lack of black pigment on the ventral fins). They young 'female' probably is a female, but at 3cm it might be a young male that hasn't developed any male features yet.

DaRe

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike!

What do you think of my comment on females have clear yellow mark on pelvic fins. I've seen this on adults as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think it is a reliable method to sex the fish, especially when young. Colors can vary on this and many other apisto species. Dark pigment location, on the other hand, can often be useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….