Monosolenium tenerum (pellia)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Here are some shots of this interesting plant. The way it's planted here is by taking some mesh (shower scrubby) and stretching it out a bit on some styrofoam and using toothpicks in the corners to hold it down and stretched. The piece of mesh should be able to go all the way around the rock. Some short toothpicks are inserted into the foam in the middle of the mesh in a square to hold a rock about 1/4 inch up in the middle of the mesh. The rock is removed. The Mono is then sprinkled down onto the mesh and spread out so as to cover the rock when the mesh is tied on. The rock is placed back on and a needle and thread were used to sew up the mesh on the ends and a seam down the middle. the rock is then flipped over and placed in the tank.

Q

DSCN7202.JPG
See a piece climbing the rock to the right

DSCN7203.JPG
After a week or so

DSCN7204.JPG
Two established ones in the back and a new one in the front

DSCN7206.JPG
One thats almost established

DSCN7211.JPG
A group

DSCN7202.JPG DSCN7203.JPG DSCN7204.JPG DSCN7206.JPG DSCN7211.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, that turned out much nicer than I had expected. What's the time line to the last pic? Watts/gal? (what comes in green mesh? mine's always red.)

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Thanks. It took about 2-3 months to grow out where you can't see the mesh. I got a green shower scrunchy at a dollar store. I have just under 2 watts per on my 55.

Q

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Thanks for the compliments. When I get to where I'm throwing it out I'll keep you guys in mind.

Q

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Amazing, Q! I suppose, if one wanted, one could just reach in and cut the mesh with scissors?

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
The bond of the fine tendrils to the type of rocks I use is weak and when I used thread everything eventually just fell apart and so I decided to use the mesh. It isn't going anywhere now. Once it's fully grown in you cant see the mesh unless you pull the rock out.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store