Guinea foul with scaly leg mites?

Meandmypoultry

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what this is, the goldish scabby things on his feet are falling off, that is what the blood and pink is from. Please help ASAP. A week or two ago we noticed him limping, checked it out, saw he had mud on his feet, cleaned it up, and thought he was fine. a week ago we noticed it wasn't better, put him in a nuirsing cage, and scrubbed his feet once and applied neosporin.
Is this scabby leg mites?
If it is, what should we do? I heard soaking in sea salt, scrubbing with dishwashing soap and coating in vaseline?

Last edited:
x 2!

Please do not scrub the legs... you can cause further problems and pain. Vaseline is sufficient and do please keep applying every few days until new healthy scales appear - treat the legs up to where the feathers start and massage the vaseline in well

Suzie

Hi Meandmypoultry,
I have 3 Narragansett turkeys with very similar symptoms. Did your guineas actually have mites? How did you treat this condition and how did it go? I've got a current thread if you might be interested in weighing in on this.
~ Roberta

I found all 4 of my guinea fowl have scaly leg mites (from appearance, not because I see anything). I had this with the hen who raised them and now, 6 months later, they are showing up with the same. I have sent for Elector PSP for them and their coop but I'm really not sure if Elector does anything different to guineas than to chickens? If so, I will need to do Vaseline but a spray sure makes it easier to get on their feet than an actual catch and carry type of ointment. Is anyone aware of the safety of Elector with them? Thanks-:idunno

Agreeing with everyone else. I would soak in warm water (espon salts if there’s no open wound/bleeding) and then slather Vaseline all over the legs. A thick coat, as thick as you can get it. Repeat applying Vaseline daily, every time it’s not a thick coat you should apply more. this suffocates the scaley leg mites, and allows for the growth of new scales. The longer you treat, the more crud/dead scales will come off. Once the huge chunks come off, I would massage the legs with the vaseline to knock loose old scales and such, but honestly I’d be afraid to mess with those hunks of brown right now.

I think this is a really old post, they hopefully dealt with it by now. :)

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but you should start a new thread. This one is too old.

Back
Top Bottom