Auriglobus nefastus

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I beleive this is the ones for sale in my lfs...marked as emerald puffers, man said there true freshwater puffers like the dwarf puffers...
they have a stunning almost electric green colouring,really attracted me and thats unusual for small fish, they are around 2-3inch in the shop, as before they seem to act alot like these small 4-5inch marine trigger fish i saw..

info if poss?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If i remember correctly, then yes they are Full Freshwater fish which remain pretty small (under 13-15cm max)...

I would wait for some one with a bit more knowledge to drop more info though, as i'm not too familiar with this species of puffer...

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
More than likely, an A modestus or silus. They remain smaller than the nefastus, which I've never seen available in the aquarium trade.

Here is my modestus:

Modestus has a deep chest. The silus is slimmer-boddied.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Resurrecting this thread to hopefully find some info.

Just saw some of these on aquabid and they seem like they could be fun for a smaller tank, like a 20g or something. I read that they live eating the scales/fins of other fish. Does this mean that they wouldn't need a diet of food with shells on?

Anybody kept these since the time of the thread?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I just bought two today for my 40 gallon breeder. I got them at the wet spot in portland oregon, they are only half an inch right now. from what i have read, searched for, heard is that they are VERY agressive especially when full grown, and their teeth grow a bit fast so trimming may be needed. so, yes they need a very crunchy diet. the two i got earlier today are still scared and hiding in the tank. IM looking foreward on growing these guys up. thats about all the info i have really right now, i think most will come from experience.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I just bought two today for my 40 gallon breeder. I got them at the wet spot in portland oregon, they are only half an inch right now. from what i have read, searched for, heard is that they are VERY agressive especially when full grown, and their teeth grow a bit fast so trimming may be needed. so, yes they need a very crunchy diet. the two i got earlier today are still scared and hiding in the tank. IM looking foreward on growing these guys up. thats about all the info i have really right now, i think most will come from experience.
Thanks! I'm still very interested in them but I guess if they have the same dental issues I'll pass. My fahaka keeps me busy enough with those!

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Yeah, im just gonna see how it goes with the teeth thing. Their not eating yet, still getting used to things. I reallyike em so far, they are thinner than your average puffer and faster too. They remind me of a trigger fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
They are on the top of the list of puffers that need regular dentistry. Plan on every 4 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store