Biotodoma Cupido

TahoeFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Tahoe City, CA
Hi all.

First real post but have been lurking and really enjoying all the posts and information as I start thinking about my bigger tank that I will purchase this summer.

In another post there was some discussion about this fish and I thought I would love to get other ideas, thoughts and experience. (PS also very new to fish keeping and committed to the SA/CAs)

So based on recommendations from others I got 5 wild caught (Columbia) cupid cichlids for my 60 gallon (others rotkeil sev, pair angels, 7 congo tetras, bn). Of the 5, which looked identical at Christmas, two quickly became emaciated. I treated for internal parasites but since then there are no symptoms in the tank and these two continue to be active, pooping well and eating well. I'm guessing with wild caught, that weak individuals would be likely and that these two may just be destined for short lives. Thoughts?

Of the 5, based on the blue striping on the lower gill plate, I have all males. I read that this is common as the females are lower in the water column in the wild so do not get caught up in the fishermen nets. I also read that the female markings (spots instead of striping) does not show until they are two years old. Anyone have experience with this?

For now my 5 are bold and not skittish. One is a bit secretive, the 2 that have sunken bellies are active and then I have two that have grown splendidly and are showing colors and spar a bit with each other. I have some chasing in the group but no serious aggression and I have never seen them bug another fish in the tank.

They sift sand and spend most of their time in the lower 1/3 of the tank except at feeding time when they are front and center at the top of the tank, especially the two sunken belly guys.

Love any comments and thoughts on this species.

I'll try for some new photos tonight.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
If the are from Colombia, they are most likely B. wavrini instead of B. cupido. If you can get a good close up of the spot below the dorsal fin, I should be able to confirm that. That spot placement is how the 3 Biotodoma species are determined by us aquarists.

Not sure if the sexing for B. cupido carries over for B. wavrini, but it might.

They do tend to be sensitive, so it's not a surprise you got a couple wild caught's that are a bit rough. They probably will fill out in time.

TahoeFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Tahoe City, CA
Hi there. They were once id'd as cupido but I'm always interested in others opinions.
Here are 3 photos...

Let me know what you think.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I'd say B. wavrini ... in the second pike, on the fish on the left ... it appears that the spot is fully above the lateral line. Closer pics would help, but that pic plus coming from Colombia would mean wavrini instead of cupido. In cupido, that spot sits between the two lateral lines instead of above the upper one.

TahoeFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Tahoe City, CA

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Yup, I had it reserved. I hate it when I do that *lol* Double checked my book and you are right. I think the Colombia thing had me thinking wavrini in my mind since cupido aren't listed from there and that's why I reversed them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store