Cichlasoma dimerus

MonteSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2009
Centra Virginia
How big do these guys get and what is their temperment?

Are they compatible with Gymnos?

Are they OK with cooler (68*) winter temps?

Any pics?

Thanks...Bill

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
MonteSS;3859029; said:
How big do these guys get and what is their temperment?

Are they compatible with Gymnos?

Are they OK with cooler (68*) winter temps?

Any pics?

Thanks...Bill
They get a good size 5-6" and are pretty bulky. My pair is at 71 degrees right now with some labiatus blue yerbalito and a pair of minuano pikes with no issues. I have heard from others that they can be a little aggressive but my pair never has been.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
i found mine to be peaceful, i got my f1s from ken which are from peters pair. as stated above they get 5"-6". I had one that was growing fast in my 46g but i dropped a 1" red texas and over night he killed my 2" guy. But i still have four more which are growing like weeds, and starting to show signs of coloring up. I have mine with 2 of my oblongums (big male is in my 125 community holding his own, he is mean), and tetras. I plan on putting mine with my geos once they are in a bigger tank.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
Those pictures barely show off their beauty, they are an amazing looking fish that you have to see in person. Nice pictures tho.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
video :D

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKpUQ_DiLzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKpUQ_DiLzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Here's a picture (by Mo) of a male that we collected near Bella Union in Uruguay. He placed second in his class at the ACA last year to an amazing Krobia :). He's really unhappy in the hard, alkaline water...

They get to about 6" and then really start to bulk up.

Acara fill a similar niche to chanchitos in the ecosystem. Where we found acara we didn't find chanchitos (and vice versa). They'll eat small fish in a minute.

I have a group of 5 that we collect from Constitucion growing out with a 3rd wheel chanchito...and it's an uneasy back and forth. Sometimes the chanchito tries to take over and sometimes he's hiding behind the sponge. I have my big one and his mate divided and with some Uruguayan plecos..

Matt

Dimerus.jpg

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Some pictures of collecting them...and the place where I collected the 5 little ones I'm growing out (Villa Constitucion).

I put the fish (1/2" each) in a breather bag and brought them back. They're 2.5-4" now...

Matt

Cichlasomadimerus - Bella Union.jpg

152_152.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store