Cryptoheros panamensis

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I didn't find them to be overly aggressive, I kept them with other non-aggressive cichlids, and live bearers.

In the pic above they are with Cichlasoma dimerus, Stomatepia pindu, and Astatheros longimanus.

In the pic below, add Etroplus canarensus
Is there an easy way to sex these guys like with the nanoluteus having the dorsal spot?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

The female is left, the male behind.
Note the female has a dark area in the dorsal (not as prominent as some of their close relatives though), with a smattering of color around it.
The males dorsal is devoid of dark.

Below is another shot of the female, with the doral more extended

after spawning they both take on a "similar pattern" while raising fry.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
See my old thread on panamesis. They are among the most colorful mid size CA.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/cryptoheros-panamensis-pairing-up.557280/

I keep a breeding pair in my 75 and they show no fear of defending their territory against much bigger tankmates. But they are extremely conspecific aggressive and won't tolerate another one of its kind in a 75. However, in my 125, I am able to keep 4 panamensis, 4 nanoluetus, 4 sajica, 2 Red Ceibal, and other cichlid of similar or larger size in harmony. But how long I can maintain the balance of power is unknown as most fish are sub adult only starting to pair up.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
See my old thread on panamesis. They are among the most colorful mid size CA.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/cryptoheros-panamensis-pairing-up.557280/

I keep a breeding pair in my 75 and they show no fear of defending their territory against much bigger tankmates. But they are extremely conspecific aggressive and won't tolerate another one of its kind in a 75. However, in my 125, I am able to keep 4 panamensis, 4 nanoluetus, 4 sajica, 2 Red Ceibal, and other cichlid of similar or larger size in harmony. But how long I can maintain the balance of power is unknown as most fish are sub adult only starting to pair up.
What size tank would be appropriate for just an adult breeding pair of them?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've had pairs spawn and retain a copastetic pair bond in 50 gal longs when small, 60 highs, and 75 gal tanks when larger. I have never tried anything smaller, mostly because the females have always remained much smaller than males, and at the small size they spawn, the dividers I built were never tight fitting enough to keep males out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store