'Geophagus' sp. "Red Bahia"

Zeppelin3k

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2006
Appleton, WI
Yours is a real looker, love all of the red on him. I thought that they maxed out at 5-6"? anways heres my group of juvies. I got 11 of them from a local breeder

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I just got some little ones last week from jgentry -- they're about an inch or so and growing fast. After a week they had doubled in size. Mine eat everything. I can't wait until they're bigger.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Zeppelin3k;4942582; said:
Yours is a real looker, love all of the red on him. I thought that they maxed out at 5-6"?
I think you are thinking of 'Geophagus' iporangensis ... they are the ones that stay in the 5"-6" range. I've seen pics of a documented 9" SL red bahia male on another site several years ago.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
@zeppelin
darth pike;4942740; said:
I think you are thinking of 'Geophagus' iporangensis ...
I agree.

@ryan_ ya don't say, I just picked up some orangeheads, atabapo sevs, and sajicas from J.D. a few weeks ago.
I got my red bahias from Ken Davis early last year I think. They were tiny like yours are now. They started spawning at like 1.5-2.5", females- males respectively so look out!

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
flowerpower;4943238; said:
@zeppelin

I agree.

@ryan_ ya don't say, I just picked up some orangeheads, atabapo sevs, and sajicas from J.D. a few weeks ago.
I got my red bahias from Ken Davis early last year I think. They were tiny like yours are now. They started spawning at like 1.5-2.5", females- males respectively so look out!

My red bahia also came from Ken. I picked up 12 of them at the Atlanta club auction last fall. Most likely from the same spawn as your flowerpower. Ken said he lost his female so it's good to see this strain carry on. I saw there dad at one of the ACA shows, great looking fish that was easily 9".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store