Geophagus sveni, winemilleri and abalios

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
20200108_232506.jpg

Big daddy. My 11¨ wild caught Geophagus sveni. He's approximately 5 years old.

20200108_232815.jpg

Geophagus winemilleri. 8¨ and according to the guy I got them from, about 19-20 months old.
Bottom left is a Geophagus abalios, approx. 7,5-8¨. Age unknown, but I'd guess ~2 - maybe a little more - years old.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Beautiful healthy examples of both species. Very very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
How many? In what size tank? What are you feeding them?
Only 2 sveni. Big daddy and one of his own offspring (not sure yet if male or female). Had a group of 6 WC sveni but when my pair started to breed I gave the other 4 to a friend and 2 weeks later they all died within 2 days. Probably a huge ammonia spike or something else, was so sad. My female died due to too much breeding, sadly. But another friend of mine has 14 from my F1s, from my first batch, and he might give me 4 so I might have 6 soon.

And 4 winemilleri. Plus 4 abalios, although I'm debating on letting them go if I get the other 4 svenis.

Tank size: 9.5' x 46¨ x 28¨, so about 600 gallons.
I feed them a variety of foods.
1) Spirulina flakes
2) a 3 way mix of different types of granules (Spirulina, high Astaxanthin and high protein)
3) Artemia (frozen)
4) White mosquito larvae (frozen)
5) Hikari mini pellets
6) high quality Koi pellets

And they also get some cut up mussels (they love it), prawn and fish. They only eat little pieces of it when I mainly feed my stingrays / plecos.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’m growing out some Winemilleri I hope they are half as nice as yours.
Beautiful

Reactions: Leo Messi

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Leo Messi Leo Messi do you still have the sveni. So beautiful, I am suddenly wanting to get some of them. You may be part to blame for this.

how big are your rays in comparison to the geos, have you had any incidents with them since they share the same territory?

Reactions: Leo Messi

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Leo Messi Leo Messi do you still have the sveni. So beautiful, I am suddenly wanting to get some of them. You may be part to blame for this.

how big are your rays in comparison to the geos, have you had any incidents with them since they share the same territory?
Don't have them anymore, because all the fish are growing fast and I felt like the tank is a bit overcrowded, so I gave them to a close friend that I know is gonna take good care and give them a lot of attention. Gave him the Sveni and Abalios, only kept my 4 Winemilleri. Little side note, the Sveni dad, (wildcaught, 5y/o, maybe more) was 32-33cm big (13¨) when my friend took him. Absolutely massive.

My biggest ray is 16¨, so not incredibly big yet. Haven't had any issues with the rays and Geos at all. Just once when I was handfeeding the rays some mussels, one of the Svenis came over and landed under the (then about 15.5") big ray and couldn't get out for a few seconds, until I then helped him out. So I'm not sure if by accident at night or so... when the big female is 20-22¨ big in the future, maybe preggo and hungry... who knows what'll happen. Thats another reason why I gave the Svenis to a friend that has no rays. I guess with rays and other fish such as Geophagus, other cichlids or Silver Dollars... it's always a 50/50 game. Either you're lucky or you're just not. Heard of so many stories where rays ate or just killed Geophagus, Silver Dollars and all kinds of other fish. But also heard of many people having no issue.

All in all, I haven't ever had a single issue with rays and any other tank mates - just one big Flagtail that eventually started to try to eat the rays' slime coats, other than that, never had any issue. I'd go for it if I were you, Svenis are by far the most colorful Geophagus species I know of and the blue & reds are just absolutely stunning. But make sure you get the Svenis from the Parana region, because the Svenis from the Araguaia region are a little less colorful (usually) and stay much smaller (usually around 8¨ max size).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store