gymnogeophagus meridionalis (looking for good information)

love-my-fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
gymnogeophagus meridionalis

Hi everyone, Just looking for some good information on these cichlids. I don't know anything about them except a few tidbits of info here and there. Anyone out there had these before, bred them or know of them?

Just looking for personal experience or some good links on them.

I really find these guys fascinating so far and i want to make sure that i'm doing the right things for these fish.....

appreciate the help
Sheldon

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York

love-my-fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
HI Watcher,, Thanks very very much for the links,,,,, Awesome.... So you picked up some yourself.... I like their behaviours so far and they are in with some very very tiny yellow lab fry,,,, almost newborns and they have not eaten them or anything,, Very surprised by that.

The gymnogeophas link pops up my network security virus checker, so can't read it at work.. i'll try at home.

Very much appreciated on the information

the_watcher

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
New York
Same here at work with that site ... but if you type it into google then go there it works ...
If I try to type the URL here it gets asterisked out..... some kind of security...

U S A F I S H B O X. forumotion .com

with out the spaces

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
Care for all Gymnos is pretty much the same. I feed a staple of small pellets and supplement with peas, spirulina brineshrimp, blood worms, and flake. Water chemistry isn't too important just as long as you do normal water changes.

You should keep them in unheated tanks. They come from Uruguay and they experience a wide variety in temps during the year from the 50s up to the 80s. Cooling them down in the winter will help them live longer. Besides you don't have to spend the extra money on the heater and electricity.

I've attached photos from collecting them last year :D

Peter's Uruguay Pics 096.jpg

Uruguay 2010 393.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store