Hypselecara Temporalis - Chocolate Cichlid

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
These two passed the test. I saw them at Fish Gallery, left them at the store, and could not stop thinking about them so I had to go back and get them right?!

I did what I could to pick two of the same sex, but it looks like I did not accomplish this. I bought these two last week, and they have built a nest and are defending it well against all comers. They are shaking and shimmering at one another all day long and I have seen the ovipositor on what I can only guess is the female. These fish are historically bad parents, sometimes getting the fry to free swimming stage, then losing interest in both the fry and their mate. So we will see how this works out. They have dug a very deep hole in the sand and are cleaning the rock diligently while trying to keep everyone out of this corner.

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
Well I did get a spawn. Here are the photos of the eggs and parents. THey are now protecting fry but the pit is so deep I cannot get a good shot of them.

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
The aggression was not actually that bad. They are very new in the tank, only a week or so. Therefore, they had not established territory or entered the hierarchy of the tank really.

I have free swimming fry, and very uncharacteristically for Chocolate Cichlids, fairly good parents. Here are a few photos and also a photo of all the hungry predators they are protecting their kids from.

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
We will just have to see what they do in the next few days. I have read tons of accounts of the parents loosing interest in the fry a few days after they become free swimming.

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
cool tank man!
any chance of getting a full tank shot?
i love the mix of cichlids you have there... are the angels able to hang with that crowd?
no predation on the tetras?

spxsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas, TX
ewok;3616916; said:
cool tank man!
any chance of getting a full tank shot?
i love the mix of cichlids you have there... are the angels able to hang with that crowd?
no predation on the tetras?
I will try to get an updated full tank shot sometime soon.

The angels are more than able, if anything they are the most aggressive in the tank. It is only mass that they do not possess in a fight. Angels are often misunderstood as docile, they are not and these are F1 so they are not far from wild instincts.

The Tetras are all larger bodied tetras, Red Eye Tetra, and a couple of Columbians that like the higher temperature. Cardinals would be awesome in this tank, but end up as expensive food.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank.

VOYTEK

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2005
NYC - QUEENS
spxsk;3616976; said:
I will try to get an updated full tank shot sometime soon.

The angels are more than able, if anything they are the most aggressive in the tank. It is only mass that they do not possess in a fight. Angels are often misunderstood as docile, they are not and these are F1 so they are not far from wild instincts.

The Tetras are all larger bodied tetras, Red Eye Tetra, and a couple of Columbians that like the higher temperature. Cardinals would be awesome in this tank, but end up as expensive food.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank.
How is it going with the Chocolate babies ?! Any updates ?

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store