Krobia sp. 'Xingu'

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The good news: my Krobia pair is preparing to spawn...

The bad new: they kicked the snot out of the other female (she's in a hospital tank...I'd give her a 20% chance)... Usually the male alternates and pays little attention to the one with whom he's not breeding. Not this time I guess.

...and this after finding one of my breeder female Bi-Color peacocks similarly beaten...and another with some eggs in her mouth...

C'est la vie. But it sucks!

Matt

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Yep, they made it around noon. They all looked good out of the bag. They're a bit small yet and look like Laetacara. You can definitely see the orange spots on them. Hopefully they'll settle in and mature a bit, then I'll try and get some fry.

darth pike, what are the blue faced ones? Something other than itanyi?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Yeah, appearantly just exported to the US this last season ... sold as Krobia cf. itanyi 'brazilian bluefaced mouthbrooder' or some silly thing like that. I would deffinately say they aren't itanyi though, for two reasons. One is itanyi are found in brazil, and two their faces are a bright blue much like a male cupido or wavrini ... cool looking fish though. Our LFS had some via Wetspotx, but tanks were in storage at the time. Otherwise I would have grabbed them.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
darth pike;3561645; said:
Yeah, appearantly just exported to the US this last season ... sold as Krobia cf. itanyi 'brazilian bluefaced mouthbrooder' or some silly thing like that. I would deffinately say they aren't itanyi though, for two reasons. One is itanyi are found in brazil, and two their faces are a bright blue much like a male cupido or wavrini ... cool looking fish though. Our LFS had some via Wetspotx, but tanks were in storage at the time. Otherwise I would have grabbed them.
I have to stop reading this message board. I'm going to become a serious fish hoarder. It already takes me three hours to do water changes. :ROFL:

There is also one listed at this link called Krobia sp. 'red eyes' which looks nothing like the other two Krobia in terms of body shape.

Did anyone here get the blue faced ones?

Edit: I found some more pictures of the 'red eyes.' Apparently they are also listed as Krobia aff. guianensis 'red eyes.' http://www.cichlidsforum.fr/-krobia-aff-guianensis-red-eyes--vt12098.html

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
erm, that should have said 'itanyi is not from brazil' ... shesh. The blues were deffinately amazing.

I've seen pics of the red eyes, very cool too.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They're not much to look at yet. :D Keep in mind that they've only been here a day, they're in a bare-bottom tank with light paint, and the flash washes them out...

I'm not sure how old they are but I'm assuming they do get larger than this. Right now they're fairly small. I'm going to try and beef them up and eventually they'll go into a bigger tank, either my 150 or my 210.

If you look close, you can see the orange dots on their sides.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Here's a picture (by ikevi) of my male...really unhappy with the water at the ACA in Cinci last summer. He took 3rd out of a bunch of really nice fish in the class (Dan Ye-Jennings's Krobia guianensis and my Cichlasoma dimerus beat it out)...

He's about 6.5-7" with his tail..

Matt

Krobia at ACA 2009.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store