Liosomadoras oncinus - info needed

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Beautiful catfish,I had one but being nocturnal it hid most of the time.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mostly nocturnal. Will eat most foods and not too fussy but will happen when the lights out. Part of the driftwood cats.

The most prettiest cats out.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Are they aggressive? Do they eat fish that can fit in their mouth? What's max size in captivity?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
6 inches. Very tiny fish will get eaten. Still should be safe with most tetras, example, and mid level fish. But not too aggressive but to their own yes.

Mine is always hiding.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Are they aggressive? Do they eat fish that can fit in their mouth? What's max size in captivity?
Not really aggressive ime, mine has fought with my ery sp Peru in the past, and he won't back down now even though he's half the ery size now. It didn't start anything, but it defended its hide. It share with the bichirs, I think the wolf tried kicking it out but can't be sure. And they will eat fish that fit in their mouth, but that's any catfish. Keep it with similar sized fish and you'll be fine. And largest I've seen of is around 6" in captivity though I've read they're supposed to get up to 8-9". Growth rate is slow. Not a picky eater ime. Mine is eating carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, and trout worms at about 3-4". Mine seems to be more outgoing than most as in the morning, even with the light on, he's is swimming back and forth and up and down nonstop. I could never get the video to post so I will take screenshots of it to share and I will share a regular picture as well. Btw, if the one pictured is the one in stock, you better hurry and get it, I know I would not only is it already large which is common, it has the (what I believe to be) adult pattern. It is a gorgeous specimen that one.
IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_1075.PNGIMG_1081.PNG IMG_1082.PNG

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Thanks all for the reply! They had a batch of wild caught in small and large and this is the largest one pictured! Think I might call them now to reserve this!

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That is one of the best-looking specimen I've seen indeed!

A lot is known and written about them and the guys have been giving you a good guidance above, IMHO.

You can check out Planet Catfish, both Cat-eLog and the Catfish-of-the-Month section, SeriouslyFish, ScotCat, FishBase, AquaticCommunity, and many other online sources.

I too have just created a thread on mine with some info and photos: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...fish-aka-liosomadoras-oncinus-visible.683522/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store