Looking for info- Yellow Convict (cryptoheros nanoluteus)

FireflySky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2017
I've recently stumbled upon a neat little fish online- the yellow convict or cryptoheros nanoluteus, or archocentrus nanoluteus, but I'm having trouble finding adequate info on them or where to find them. The basics that I have found is that they will grow to about 4 inches, are "sensitive" or more sensitive than their convict cousins, best kept in pairs and are mildly aggressive but shy.

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of them before, or has any experience. I'd like to know how they fair with other fish and how easy/ hard they are to keep, as I feel the descriptions I've gotten so far are a little vague. They seem to be hard to find, but a local fish store claims they can order them for me. This will be my first experience buying fish from them, so atm I am skeptical. I was sure to give them the scientific name, but I'm worried they may confuse my request with the normal convict.

What would be a fair price for this fish?? I also asked them about an electric blue acara, which they are selling for roughing $23. A bit steep, but better than Petsmart (which I can't find them there anymore) and cheaper than ordering a single fish online.

Please, any info would be helpful. I was really liking the "normal" convicts, but steered away due to their aggression and not wanting billions of fry. Now finding this yellow "convict," I'm honestly just smitten. Ideally, I'd love to have a single or pair with an EBA, possibly dithers, but with these guys I honestly wouldn't mind doing a species only tank if I had to. I'm just dying to know what it takes to care for these guys, and if they're reasonably priced

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept them, they are a mild mannered species that can handle living in a fairly small tank. I grew out a half dozen in a 75 gal, and they did well.
A smaller tank like 50 would also work, and plants help them feel secure.
I wouldn't keep them with other aggressive cichlids, but instead with a group of live bearers that would act as dithers.
Wet Spot has them on their list for $7 each, at about 1.5".

females usually sport a black blotch in the dorsal, and a bit more melanin in general.

FireflySky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2017
Thank you for your response. Could I do a pair or trio in a 40 breeder, or is that too small? Would tetras work as dithers (cardinal and/or rummynose)? How picky are they with water parameters? I've been cycling my tank for 2 months now with just ammonia, slowly raising the dose and letting plants settle in a bit. PH has been stable around 7.6. I did see that these fish are listed as vulnerable/ endangered, so if I am able to house them I want to be sure to take extra care.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your water parameters sound good, my pH was between 7.6-7.8, general hardness 250 grains,
And yes I believe this is the only Central American that could live comfortably in a tank as small as a 40 breeder, and those tetras should work, there are many similar tetra species here in Panama where nanoluteus are found.
Mine seemed to appreciate tangles of roots and plants.

Reactions: FireflySky

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Neat little fish. Duane's told you a bunch of good info. Used to own a small female a while back. They do well in heavily planted setups and in community setups too IME. They stay pretty small. Ken Davis of southeast exotics and tropicals has some small ones for $5 each too

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Awesome little fish, least aggressive central American I have kept. A pair would do great in a 40 breeder. I did not have much luck keeping mine in a small CA community (was bullied, hid all the time) but I have seen large (4-maybe even 5") nano's in a 150g planted tank with lots of larger cichlids, and they were doing fine. I think being in a group helps them, as does having a thick planted or decorated tank

FireflySky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2017
Thanks for all the info. I think these guys may be the way to go for me. I love neons/ cardinals, so being able to keep them as well is a huge plus as well.

I have about 10 plants so far, anubias and 2 varieties of java fern, plus 3 marimo moss balls. First time planted, but I'm feeling very impatient waiting for them to grow out. Is there anything I should add for this species, or should I let what I have grow out?

tank.jpg

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
Great fish. Mine were totally peaceful until they paired up. Once they finished eliminating all their conspecifics they became peaceful again :D

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Great fish. Mine were totally peaceful until they paired up. Once they finished eliminating all their conspecifics they became peaceful again :D
Is that a Panamensis in your avatar? It's beautiful

Reactions: dalto
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store