Mystus Leucophasis/Asian upside down catfish

Entropy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Chicago
Hello there. I am looking to find information on one of my fish. I got him/her maybe 2 months ago and I can't find much on it. My dad's friend gave it to me saying it was an upside down catfish. I thought he meant a synodontis but it turned out to be Mystus Leucophasis. No one I know knows anything about them nor do any LFS around me. I have never seen them sold in a LFS either. I wonder how he obtained this fish... But anyway, any kind of information would be nice. What size tank minimum, how big do they grow, what kind of food, tankmates, environment etc would be much appreciated! Also, it is a rare type of fish to obtain or not many prefer to keep?

My dad's friend kept it in a 5 gal tank but gave me this mystus and a syno because they were getting too big for it. I put the mystus in my 55gal tank. I learned the hard way not to keep angelfish and mystus leucophasis together. Luckily it was only fin damage and all my fish in the 55 gal are doing great.

Currently in a 20gal tank with
-1 synodontis nigriventris (maybe 1-1/2 to 2 inches; came with the mystus and I guess they get along)
-1 gold gourami (4 inches; looking to rehome)
-3 danio kaythit (2 inches each; very temporary, moving to 55gal)
The ML is about 4-5 inches itself.

Here are some pics

Can anyone tell what sex it is?

Some of the damage to my babies :<

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I'm familier with them, I have had mine for about 7 months now. He is about 7-8" long. From what I have read males are generally smaller then females and they can reach 12". These fish like to hide so structure is important, a section of PVC works great. They also tend to be very aggresion (as your angelfish found out) and mine enjoys chasing the other catfish. As for how common they are, not sure. I rarely see them for sale and when I do they are fairly cheap. I think they used to be a lot more common then they are now. They can be sexed. Males have a genital papilla.

Here are some pictures of mine shortly after I first got him...

Info
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=115
http://www.scotcat.com/bagridae/mystus_leucophasis.htm

fishlover88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Aurora, CO
:iagree: ive had mine like 2-3 years now. it is a gorgeous black. I very rarely see mine during the day. Although if i wake up in the middle of the night, it can be seen chasing the other fish around and swimming from one end of the tank to the other. they have great personality though. I love mine, bought it as a misc syno. but grew into something completely different

Entropy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Chicago
Aww, yours is so fat and cute. I guess I need to wait a little so sex mine. It isn't that big yet. What would be the minimum tank size to keep one and what do you feed yours?

Entropy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Chicago
I rarely see mine too. It hides in its pot all day. I only see it when I clean the tank or when I wake up in the morning to turn on the light then it runs and hides. Hopefully I can get a better picture than the one I have. Can the syno I have with it stay with it? Or will it get bullied too badly?

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Entropy;1195993; said:
Aww, yours is so fat and cute. I guess I need to wait a little so sex mine. It isn't that big yet. What would be the minimum tank size to keep one and what do you feed yours?
Well mine is about 7-8" and I keep it in a 40g breeder. Should he grow any larger I'll be putting him in my 55g. Though inactive during the day they move about a bit at night so I do suggest a 55g and I'll probably be putting mine in there even if he dosen't grow any more.
As for food, whatever sinks really. Shrimp pellets, bloodworms, small chucks of shrimp and earthworms etc.

Entropy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
Chicago
Thanks :) I'll try some of those foods and see what it likes. Hopefully I can find another tank (or worst case, give some fish away be it the mystus or other fish). In the 55gal I have now, I have 2 angelfish + their fry, 10 inch pleco, 2 german blue rams, a gold gourami and I'm going to put my danios in there. I don't think moving those fish (minus the pleco) to my 20gal would be comfortable for them while putting in the 2 catfish and keeping my pleco in the 55... :<

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
i have a 12" fat female that i got a couple of years ago as a two inch baby. it is in a 100 gal. tank with some bichirs and cichlids. she eats pellets, krill and feeders along with the other tank inhabitants.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
sauroid;1198321; said:
i have a 12" fat female that i got a couple of years ago as a two inch baby. it is in a 100 gal. tank with some bichirs and cichlids. she eats pellets, krill and feeders along with the other tank inhabitants.
Got any picture of her?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store