Are nassarius snails still a thing?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m cycling my first tank in 15. In my old FOWLR tanks I used to love watching my dozens of nassarius snails rise from the substrate like zombies coming to life when I would feed. I have not really seen them online or at the 2 LFS’ I’ve visited. Are they still a thing in this hobby or have they become the next dodo bird?

Billy

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right up there with urchins and big Mexican turbos as the hardest workers in my systems. Wouldn't have a tank without them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m cycling my first tank in 15. In my old FOWLR tanks I used to love watching my dozens of nassarius snails rise from the substrate like zombies coming to life when I would feed. I have not really seen them online or at the 2 LFS’ I’ve visited. Are they still a thing in this hobby or have they become the next dodo bird?

Billy
They are, but in recent years, it's been hard to find true nassarius vibex. There are a lot of nass species that look very similar and a lot of sellers are collecting these instead of vibex... Most aren't dangerous but also aren't detritivores

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few online options in Southern California that I know of (there's definitely others):

Non-CA options:

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! How many would you recommend for a 90 gal with a 2” sand bed? When is an appropriate time to add them? I started cycling my tank on October 12th so I’m only 3 weeks in and haven’t started testing ammonia yet.

Billy

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few online options in Southern California that I know of (there's definitely others):

Non-CA options:
Thanks for this! We moved to TX July 2021, I just updated my profile. That is so thoughtful of you!

Billy

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a screenshot of reefcleaners 90 gallon diverse option. I’m planning on picking up the 60 gallon one next week myself. Ive got about 10 Nassarius snails that came over from my 30. Real workhorses.
59EF8731-5B39-488C-B296-C7BA43F49247.png

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! How many would you recommend for a 90 gal with a 2” sand bed? When is an appropriate time to add them? I started cycling my tank on October 12th so I’m only 3 weeks in and haven’t started testing ammonia yet.

Billy
I have the same tank and have a about 5-7 in my tank. Large ones and small ones.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Billy
Petco usually has them in stock around me.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we are! I’m right on the Magnolia/Tomball border. Our address is Magnolia but zoned for Tomball ISD. It’s amazing how large all these cities are land wise. Are you on MARSH?

Billy
Yep

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back