Massive Vermetid snail?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my frogspawn, I found a normal sized vermetid snail. But on the other side, I found this massive casing. Is this too a vermetid snail? Never seen one this big.
CD622DAA-25D9-4F1F-9619-300E185DB4CB.jpeg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one of these guys too! It’s on a mushroom frag and it’s so big I almost feel bad killing it. I’ve been putting it off and I keep it pretty far away from everything else so it’s web doesn’t bother any other corals. It just keeps growing it’s tube.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly is one. They can get big. Crazy glue the opening shut.
That doesn't work. I don't know why people keep saying this. The worm will burrow it's way out. Maybe this works for the smaller ones but definitely not the big ones, especially on an euphyllia where the skeleton is not as hard as a rock.

I have one of these guys too! It’s on a mushroom frag and it’s so big I almost feel bad killing it. I’ve been putting it off and I keep it pretty far away from everything else so it’s web doesn’t bother any other corals. It just keeps growing it’s tube.
If you don't remove it, it will quickly spread like wild fire all over your tank. As a matter of fact, if you have one that big, your tank is already infested.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. that looks just like one I have... Does it put out a snotty fishing net and pull it back in to eat?
IMG_9808.JPEG IMG_9809.JPEG
I have not seen a net with this one. But I didn’t even know it was there until tonight after the coral retracted. Normally I do see the snotty net with vermetid snails. But not this one.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't work. I don't know why people keep saying this. The worm will burrow it's way out. Maybe this works for the smaller ones but definitely not the big ones, especially on an euphyllia where the skeleton is not as hard as a rock.

If you don't remove it, it will quickly spread like wild fire all over your tank. As a matter of fact, if you have one that big, your tank is already infested.
I normally try and pinch them off when I see them. But with one this big, I am afraid I will damage the coral. But I guess I will have to try anyway to get rid of it.

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not being argumentative, just curious, how would you deal with one that size? Get rid of the frag?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not being argumentative, just curious, how would you deal with one that size? Get rid of the frag?
Bone cutter and simply snip it off. Just have to be careful not to break the frogspawn. If the vemetaid snail is below the frogspawn polyp tissue, you can also just cut the stalk and discard it. In the OP case, the vemetaid is pretty close to the tissue so it is risky.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pliers or bone cutter and break off at base- Dont crack tube and discard.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally try and pinch them off when I see them. But with one this big, I am afraid I will damage the coral. But I guess I will have to try anyway to get rid of it.
I wondered why my acans didn’t look as beautiful as some of the ones I’ve seen. But then I noticed these tubes. Vermituds! I only had a few on a few frags so I glued them shut. I only wish I had noticed them sooner. I might have saved a few acans. After a day all of the acans opened large and bright! I now inspect rocks and frags regularly looking for signs of them. I didn’t know what they were when I first spotted them and even once I learned what they were I didn’t realize they irritate corals that badly (and I never saw “webs” only at most a strand here or there). :(

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m not suggesting to OP that they shouldn’t get rid of theirs. I posted about the one I have the first day that I had the frag and noticed it but it sounded like they’re a different type of Vermetid snail… again, not saying they’re a good one. I’m fairly certain that my tank is not infested at all though, unless they reproduce alone? I also happen to love bumblebee snails and I have a bunch in every tank, for just such an occasion.
either way, next time I do a WC, it’s on my list of things to take care of.

Attachments

• 2B84B1CD-0381-4BEB-B427-18B9DE8926AE.jpeg
    2B84B1CD-0381-4BEB-B427-18B9DE8926AE.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 131

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some truly massive vermetids over the years, but nothing compares to one I saw on Gallery Aquatica, they had one from a tank breakdown that was nearly two feet tall and branching (they were colonial), free standing and as big around as a pencil, looked almost like a gorgonian (without the polyps) or a sea fan.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What happens if I crack the tube? It is going to be very difficult to do that without cracking it or completely destroying the stalk of the frogspawn
The worm can take off and rebuild elsewhere

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back