Vermetid snails?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased rock that was supposed to be cured dry rock. Put it in a holding container for a couple days - all seemed well.

Put it under light and seems to be infested with whatever is in the photos below.

Thoughts on what they are and how to clean them before going live with this sump & frag tank?
Yikes2.jpg

yikes3.jpg

IMG_0692.JPG
Yikes2.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, vermetids.

Only way to get rid of them is to pick them off with a pair of pliers or heavy-duty tweezers ... making sure to get the entire base of the shell, and any bits of snail that have burrowed into the rock beneath the shell, off and/or crushed to death.

Or just leave them be and live with them.

No one has found a predator or any other 'treatment' method that will eliminate them with any real degree of success.

ACF930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As others have mentioned, you can crush them with scissors and make sure to get the base.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a good soak in some Citric Acid water (like I use to clean pumps etc) - then dry out for a few weeks - HOPEFULLY should eliminate them.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a good soak in some Citric Acid water (like I use to clean pumps etc) - then dry out for a few weeks - HOPEFULLY should eliminate them.

I would go with this method. Drying it out a few weeks will definitely be good.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity. what are you calling "cured dry rock"?

Rock that started out as dry rock that has been soaked for several weeks or months - with something to add in bacteria.

This is rock that I purchased roughly a week ago - it was stored in heated saltwater with a power head running.

I can't confirm the history on it - only what I was buying it as.

The rock "looks" nice and clean - except for these snails.

I'm fine with it because I got it for a good price - and luckily I had the ability to let it sit and watch it for a bit before using it in a tank.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock was sitting dry for a while they are probably already dead. You could crush up some food and see if it gets caught in any food webs that they put out.

If they are live, I would want to get them dead before they go in the tank and it is hard to see the baby ones. I think your vinegar soak is a good call.

I would use caution moving forward when using vinegar to clean pumps and plastic things. Randyholmesfarley, the chemist on this forum wrote an article about the organic properties of vinegar being able to weaken plastics. You might want to look up the article. I use Muriatic acid now. It is available at a swimming pool supply stores and at Home Depot. You need to dilute it. Use safety precautions, it can damage your skin.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back