Rock, paper, scissors! Let's discuss known arena teams, and who best to counter them!

I've done more than my fair share of complaining on this forum; I would like to discuss something more positive - arena match-ups!

Let's assume that the opponent has whale-level access to any toon at 7*, but we cannot use chromium only toons, or Yoda. This means no Darth Maul, no Leia, no Ben to use.

Let's hear what you know to be effective counters to certain combinations. Just for fun, we could post screenshots of your current arena foes, and players can post what teams they would use to win.

Replies

• Options
    We're on the same server. We're lucky to only have a handful of whales, but it is getting a lot more competitive in the top 10.
  • Options
    I'm losing consistently to current #1 MadRussian w/ his ~28k team on our shard. Granted I'm only at ~24k, but I'm looking to finish today at #2, because I just cannot snipe him w/ my team.

My team: Poggle (L) 6*G8, GeoSol 6*G8, IG-88 5*G8, IG-86 6*G8, Poe 5*G8

His team: QGJ(L), Yoda, GeoSol, Hoth Scout, Dooku (All 7* Gear 8, except Geo who is Gear 9)

He immediately adapted to the new speed meta and it is absolute murder.
  • Options
    ZeeDubyah wrote: »
    I'm losing consistently to current #1 MadRussian w/ his ~28k team on our shard. Granted I'm only at ~24k, but I'm looking to finish today at #2, because I just cannot snipe him w/ my team.

My team: Poggle (L) 6*G8, GeoSol 6*G8, IG-88 5*G8, IG-86 6*G8, Poe 5*G8

His team: QGJ(L), Yoda, GeoSol, Hoth Scout, Dooku (All 7* Gear 8, except Geo who is Gear 9)

He immediately adapted to the new speed meta and it is absolute murder.

You can counter this pretty well with a similar speed setup - just have your Dooku stun Jinn, then have your own Jinn focus fire on the other Jinn.

My preferred setup vs. this team is to utilize 5x AOE with a heavy lean toward tanky toons: I use Snowtrooper, Phasma, Kylo, Sid leader, and a 5* DV. This works now well still, probably 75%+ win rate, but when DoTs killed, oh boy it was a joke.
  • Mr_Eel
    124 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure there is any way to deal with a perfect speed build. By its defining characteristic, the loss of at least one of your toons before you act is probable. You can recover once every few matches, but the AI playing as you on defense cannot. I too am interested to know if anyone has come up with anything. I just build for speed and split matches with my opponents. Not much strategy to it sadly.

I want to try an Ackbar, Leia, ST Han, Hoth Scout, Dooku team. But that's going to take awhile to finish farming.
  • Options
    Yeah, I am shifting focus to Jinn in cantina shipments and dooku from the cantina holotable now, but it'll be a while before they're worth plugging into my PVP team. Oh well, I committed to the geo/droid team, so I'll see it through for now - my 6*s are almost 7 and my 5* is almost 6 for this team - already got a few other 7*s, but only sidious that would help on the speed front.
  • Options
    Mr_Eel wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is any way to deal with a perfect speed build. By its defining characteristic, the loss of at least one of your toons before you act is probable. You can recover once every few matches, but the AI playing as you on defense cannot. I too am interested to know if anyone has come up with anything. I just build for speed and split matches with my opponents. Not much strategy to it sadly.

I want to try an Ackbar, Leia, ST Han, Hoth Scout, Dooku team. But that's going to take awhile to finish farming.

I just posted right above a build that takes down speed builds at a really high rate. The AI doesn't focus fire well and if you use characters that have over 14k health you will generally survive with all your heroes alive to hit back.
  • Options
    Haha, I don't use my Sidious outside of the Attacker challenge and GW. Poggle is my leader in PVP on my geo/droid team. He is a beast. I have him fully geared and 30 shards from 7*. With his 25% offense leader ability and offense up, he crits for almost 6k, almost always ability blocks, and sends geo sol well into the 12k+ range on a critical. I guess since attacker challenge was today, my long forgotten/neglected Sid is my ally offering (sorry about that).
  • Kalo
    123 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with the tanky toons being viable. I went with more of a TM manipulation slant and get a lot of attacks in after the first volley from the speedy guys. Phasma, Poe, ST Han, Sid and Daka. Works pretty good. taken down the fully starred/geared QGJ/Yoda/GS/2 other fast toons team builds. Of course they usually take it right back. AI sucks.